1987 600R starting problems

5 replies to this topic
  • NJC9699

Posted August 21, 2004 - 07:08 AM

My 87 600r won't start unless you pop it behind a truck, quad, or another vehicle. if you were to just kick it over, even when its just run for 20 minutes a second before, it won't even cough. Could this be the result of an XR250R plug wire?

• don87xr600

Posted August 21, 2004 - 05:35 PM

check your compression

• beer_studd_76

Posted August 22, 2004 - 09:58 AM

might have a bum stator

might have a bad ingition coil

might have a carb(s) out of tune

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HairyScary

Posted August 22, 2004 - 05:52 PM

The hosed stator seems to be a common problem on these older XR600 from what I've read. There is an Australian site that details the rewinding of the ignition feed on the stator (not to be confused with the big heavy wire used for the lighting on the stator). If the spark appears pink/orange and weak, versus blue and bright (on a known good plug, or new one) then I'd be looking into that.

• don87xr600

Posted August 23, 2004 - 09:19 AM

Only the '91 or newer can be rewound, I'd start with one of those if yours needs replacing.

• roosterk0031

Posted August 24, 2004 - 07:51 AM

I agree with others, check spark, if not big and bright look for a new stator, my 87 xr600 would act very similar. Spark so weak it was difficult to see (but I was kickin and looking at the same time). When stator is weak the speed of a kick just isn't enough to create enough power for a good spark, pulling it the rpm are high enough to make a strong enough spark. I got my stator from Ricky Stator, works well, did have initial problem with lighting circuit not working, he claimed I ground it out installing (others have had similar problems) but he sent me out another very quickly. $130 not bad price either. David

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.