Front sprocket

5 replies to this topic
  • twosixtwo

Posted August 20, 2004 - 10:59 PM

Anyone change their front sporcket on there YZ450F and what type of results did you get :thumbsup:

• budweiserfrog

Posted August 20, 2004 - 11:37 PM

I use a 15 for mx and supermoto. To me it feels more like a 5 speed box now, minus 1st of course, and broadens out the power. any way who needs or even uses a first much. the 450 pulls so strong it can easily handle the taller gearing. i also use a Dr. D 6oz flywheel weight which also smooths out the power delivery and aids against stalling. :thumbsup:

• tool

Posted August 21, 2004 - 12:09 AM

i second the 15t front. i use a 15 for MX and it seems to add overrev. going back to a 14 seems to cost a few rpm on top. maybe taller gearing lessens the bottom end response, but ive got such wide gears and shift so much less its worth it to me.
it also tames the hit. i used to used 14/52 and it hit very hard but the gears were too short. now i use 15/47 for MX and trail riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Four Fiddie

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:55 PM

has anyone else switched to 15/47? I run mx and wanted to know how this setup feels.

• grayracer513

Posted June 15, 2005 - 12:05 PM

I run a 15/49 pretty much everywhere.

When you you change the front from 14 to 15 with sprockets in this range, it's the same as dropping 3 teeth at the rear. So a 15/48 is roughly equal to a 14/45.

Mine is two teeth taller than stock. The front makes it 3 taller, and the larger rear makes it one lower, for a net of two up. 15/47 is 4 teeth taller.

Posted June 15, 2005 - 04:31 PM

15/47 here, only way I could tame the 2003 BEAST.................LOL

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.