XR650R - Ohlins shock vs. 1997 CR125 shock

8 replies to this topic
  • Naru

Posted August 20, 2004 - 08:56 PM

Any ideas on which one works better? One thing I noticed is that the 97 cr 125 shock has both high and low speed compression dampening, whereas the ohlins does not (for the XR650R specific shock). Also, has anyone tried to fit a Ohlins PRX (H&L speed compression dampening model shock) off of another bike model onto the 650R (like off of the 01 or 02 CR125)? Thanks for the input.

• qadsan

Posted August 20, 2004 - 09:17 PM

I believe MikeKay here on TT uses an Ohlins rear shock and he can probably give you some insight on how it compares to the stock shock. I'm thrilled with my stock shock after Barnums revalved it, but I don't push my bike as hard as others to where the rear shock seriously fades. The Ohlins has a larger resevoir and the extra oil minimizes overheating / fading. Some racers also use the CR500/KX500 rear shock with the stock spring and it appearly just bolts right in from what I've heard.

• mikekay

Posted August 21, 2004 - 10:26 PM

I run the Ohlins--the larger resevoir is good for heavy bikes like Dakar set ups or whatever...BUT its very very limited in terms of support. Ordering springs, getting it serviced, and especially dialing it in is a challenge. The CR500 KX500 shock or the re-valved re-sprung stocker can be easily set up--there is just so so much expereince now with the suspension guys haveing tried everything on those shocks and now they know what works best.
I've raced the Baja 500 on Barnums rear shock...it was better than my Ohlins...not sure if i need to change the Ohlins spring rate, or the pressure, or the needle size or just the clickers (all of which i have changed from Ohlins stock)--point is there isnt anyone on planet earth who can even sort of point me in the right direction. Bob at Precision Concepts has only worked on one Ohlins rear, Rob none. Stig the Ohlins dude hasnt done any BRP's (other than mine)...so yeah its a great shock--but like racing a VOR or swimming against the current its more difficult than going with the flow.
IMHO send your shock to Barnums for an Eibach spring and a re-valve/re-stack or buy a CR500/KX500 shock (thats what Team Honda uses...)

• Naru

Posted August 22, 2004 - 05:01 PM

Cool.. exactly what I was wanting to know. :devil: Also, I called Ohlins, and the BRP model shock does not have the High-low compression dampening of the CR500 shock, so I might as well go with that (and save some cash too). Btw, do you have any idea what year range of CR500 or KX500 shock works? I've also heard the 1996 CR125 shock works.. any ideas what years for that as well? Thanks!

PS - For anyone who wanted to know about the Moriwaki, I had the exhaust tested out in Ocotillo this weekend WITH the S/A installed.. didn't pass sound check. A friend took my pig to be checked and I forgot to ask him what it tested at (got another pig to work on right now :thumbsup:), but he told me that he doubted that the muffler could be set up to pass. Oh well. I'm probably going to keep the Mori. on that bike, but I have a second one brand new in box for my other pig that I probably won't install. Anyone interested? Guess it's time to look at the E2...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted August 22, 2004 - 05:14 PM

What did the Mori test out at?

• Naru

Posted August 22, 2004 - 06:01 PM

I just called him up, and he said with the S/A in, it tested at about 98 db. That might be a bit pessamistic though, because he took it back and had it tested without the SA at over 102. During the testing the ranger didn't hassle him about the spark arrestor not being forest service certified, but then again, there aren't a whole lot of things to burn down in the desert. Also, it may or may not affect things, but it was well over 100F in the sun during testing.

• Naru

Posted August 22, 2004 - 06:01 PM

I just called him up, and he said with the S/A in, it tested at about 98 db. That might be a bit pessamistic though, because he took it back and had it tested without the SA at over 102. During the testing the ranger didn't hassle him about the spark arrestor not being forest service certified, but then again, there aren't a whole lot of things to burn down in the desert. Also, it may or may not affect things, but it was well over 100F in the sun during testing.

• qadsan

Posted August 22, 2004 - 06:16 PM

I think the Baja Designs quiet tip 'might' fit into the end of the Mori with a little additional work, but I'll have to get back to you on that after I comfirm my thoughts on this. If it does fit without too much work and if it doesn't look too quirky, then it would quiet it down considerably, but at the expense of some performance. At 98 db, it's very close to passing. I've read where the HRC tip gets tested anywhere from 95 to 99 db depending on where its being tested, whose testing it, how the test is being conducted, etc. It should all test out the same based on the outlined test procedures which are quite detailed, but I don't think the test procedures & training are being carried out uniformly.

• motart

Posted August 23, 2004 - 11:21 AM

naru, what do you have to get$ for your moriwaki?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.