Finger operated gear shifting?

6 replies to this topic
  • BoffoRider

Posted August 20, 2004 - 02:44 PM

I had installed the Rekluse clutch and now love it. I am waiting for the launch of the Rekluse hand operated rear brake (the one that lets me keep the foot lever) and was wondering about the possibility of a hand operating gear shifter. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Is it possible? What do you guys think?

• ncmountainman

Posted August 20, 2004 - 02:52 PM

the drag bikes use some sort of electric shift,maybe you could rig one from their stuff. probly just a solenoid on the shift lever. :thumbsup:

• tc66nova

Posted August 20, 2004 - 03:40 PM

The drag bikes usually use an air cylinder conected to the original shift lever. The problem is that they are designed for upshift only. You have to manually down shift the transmission. I think that the system would be to bulky and fragile for a dirt bike. But it would be cool.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chrome-crf

Posted August 20, 2004 - 04:17 PM

The electric shifters can only be used on fuel injected bikes with a Power Commander. Carbureted bikes use air shifters.

• Fastest1

Posted August 21, 2004 - 01:20 PM

Electric shifters can be used on any bike regardless of carburetion. Dale Walker builds one that both upshifts and downshifts, however it will require a battery supply. I personally dont like his stuff and dont think it would hold up in a mx/sx dirt enviroment. It should be easy enough to build one from a linear actuator, battery and double throw switch but why? A few sources for you
http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/
http://personal.riverusers.com/~lneff/

• Fastest1

Posted August 21, 2004 - 01:33 PM

I was confused about Dale Walkers shifter doing both, it doesnt!

• Hamish

Posted August 21, 2004 - 03:00 PM

I've made a few electric kill shifters for road bikes and speedway cars with 600cc road bike engines. You still have to shift with you foot , but you hold the throttle flat and dont use the clutch. I ran a brake light switch off the gear shifter, which triggered a adjustable timer (about 50-100mS) to cut power to the ignition coil.It works well under ideal conditions but I dont think it would be much good for offroad use. You need to shift firmly and positively. If the shifter gets bumped the gearbox will sometimes not change properly, findinmg a false nuetral, or ramping in and out of gear. Since the YZ box is lucky to stay together under normal conditions this kind of treatment isnt recomended.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.