Oil weight temp range

3 replies to this topic
  • CBreaken

Posted August 20, 2004 - 12:29 PM

I was looking through the yamaha service manual for my 04 yz450f and found that yamaha specifies an oil weight range for USA and Canada,(20w-40 for temps above 40 and 10w-30 for temos below) and then a second oil weight range for the rest of the world,(tons of weights across a broad temp range with 10w-40 being the most versitile) whats up with that? Is this another EPA mandated deal?

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2004 - 03:36 PM

It is an EPA deal. Has to do with wear reducers formerly found in SG oils, which are no longer in the current SJ/SL spec. Use a 10w-40 oil with a JASO grade MA. It's the equivalent of an SG with improvements. See my elaborate response on this subject in the recent thread "what kind of oil do you use?"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted August 21, 2004 - 04:31 PM

A side note; the Golden Spectro petrolium/synthetic blend is still classified SF/SG and is also listed as JASCO MA. I'm sure there are other oils that still fit this catagory.

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2004 - 04:38 PM

True. Golden Spectra 10w-40 is what I use. Motorex makes JASO MA graded oils too, I hear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.