2002 WR426 Footpeg :'(

4 replies to this topic
  • Eric_F

Posted August 20, 2004 - 12:21 AM

Recently, the left footpeg has developed a crack, but the bike has never been tipped :thumbsup:, and now requires replacement. It is Yamaha Part Number 5ET-27411-00-00, and is called "Footrest 1." It is rediculously high priced to replace, and I was wondering if anyone knew of an awesome discount site, or would possibly be willing to sell me one?

Thanks,

Eric

*EDIT EDIT EDIT*

I think I know now what caused it to crack. It DID fall off its stand overnight for some reason onto the left side a while back, and that could very well have weakened it.

• 5valve

Posted August 20, 2004 - 12:33 AM

how about welding and reinforcing it? (professionally)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Eric_F

Posted August 20, 2004 - 12:59 AM

Good Idea! Does anyone know what material it is made of? I am reasonably skilled with oxy-acetylene, but I think Arc is out of the picture....maybe TIG? Too bad I don't have a TIG welder :thumbsup:

• 5valve

Posted August 20, 2004 - 01:13 AM

O acetylene should do it, use extra metal piece to sthrengthen it and paint to prevent oxidation

TIG would be better, maybe theres a mechanic near by that owns one?

• Hamish

Posted August 20, 2004 - 01:34 AM

They are steel. A mig would be fine if tig isnt avaliable.
Grind around the crack in a 'V' shape (about 1/4 oif the thickness, from each side if possible) so you get extra penetration. Theres no need to reinforce it.
I repair welders for a job so u can rely on this advise :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.