Clutchless Shifting

12 replies to this topic
  • YZRIDER1127

Posted August 19, 2004 - 09:41 PM

My previous bike was a 03 yz250r and i hardly ever used the clutch. I tried this on my 04yz450f and it seemed to not work as well almost seemed like it might be doing some damage. When i shifted up it felt great then i down shifted and it felt bad. Is there any diff. when not using your clutch in a 2-stroke vs a 4-stroke.

And the problem with my bike dying was fixed today it was the air/fuel screw. Im a full 2 turns out now thanks for whoever suggested going 2 turns out.

• Hamish

Posted August 20, 2004 - 02:16 AM

Just give the trottle a blip as you do a clutchless downshift. The compressiion braking of the 4 stroke holds backwards weight on the gears. never force the lever, if it doesnt want to go, your revs arent correct for that shift.

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2004 - 03:42 PM

First, if the bike is pretty new, it will get a bit better as it gets a little more use.

Second, four strokes put a lot of engine braking pressure on the transmission, compared to 2 strokes, which speed up when you close the throttle (or sometimes seem to). This is probably where the difference is. Shift a little more crisply when downshifting w/o the clutch. It's OK.

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 21, 2004 - 04:33 PM

I was watching a start the other day on tape, and I noticed that Ricky uses the clutch when he's shifting on the start. Play the start back in ssslllloooowwwww motion and you can see him clutch. I can never get a good enought picture to tell if he clutches elsehwere on the track or not. Just food for discussion.

• Hamish

Posted August 22, 2004 - 12:57 AM

I'd guess it's quicker to hold the throttle flat and blip the clutch than to back off the gas to do a clutchless shift.

• etownyzf

Posted August 22, 2004 - 03:37 AM

I'd guess it's quicker to hold the throttle flat and blip the clutch than to back off the gas to do a clutchless shift.

thats it-letting off the gas wastes speed :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted August 22, 2004 - 05:47 PM

On the starts you have to use the clutch....just not much after that...unless you want to ruin it!
CLUTCH USE = CLUTCH ABUSE!!! :thumbsup:

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 23, 2004 - 02:53 AM

LOL, now that I object to! The clutch controls the power that you put to the ground, in many situations it's much better to just slip the clutch than to let off the gas.

PS-> See my avatar, that was in 3rd gear, I might have slipped the clutch a tad. :devil:

• Hamish

Posted August 23, 2004 - 03:43 AM

thats what it's there for!
One of the offroad riding schools down here in OZ describes the clutch as a 'variable gear'. :devil:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 23, 2004 - 06:18 AM

CLUTCH USE = CLUTCH ABUSE!!! :devil:

LOL, now that I object to! The clutch controls the power that you put to the ground, in many situations it's much better to just slip the clutch than to let off the gas.

PS-> See my avatar, that was in 3rd gear, I might have slipped the clutch a tad. :awww:

No you are missing the main point here: in some situations you have to slip the clutch, but this puts more wear on the clutch of a 4 stroke than anything. Over time that roost in your avatar will not be that big due to your clutch wearing out. It is not a 2stroke! It has a hell of a lot more torque. The point that I am making is this: sure use your clutch when you need to, I use it when I need to. I realize and have learned over time and worn out several YZF clutches using the clutch too much. I know when not to use it and when to use the roll on power that is characteristic for a 4 stroke. :thumbsup:

• yamaha.dude

Posted August 23, 2004 - 10:32 PM

Besides starting out, and fanning the clutch to keep revs up in corners or on hills, the only time I use the clutch in either up or downshifting is when I down shift on pavement/tar... not so much for the bike's benefit, but to stop the knobs breaking off so easy... :devil:

I could almost be talked into a Rekluse unit... :thumbsup:

David

• tool

Posted August 24, 2004 - 01:07 AM

i think its like this:
how much do you use the throttle?
how much do you use the brakes?
but whatever you do, dont use the clutch! :thumbsup:

• Fastest1

Posted August 24, 2004 - 05:57 AM

I only use the brakes if I am not using the throttle, in my mind! Yeah I know how it is supposed to be done! :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.