Tether type kill switch

4 replies to this topic
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted August 19, 2004 - 08:57 PM

OK, going to order a tether type kill switch for my "soon to come, paid in full 2004 WR450F" and dont have any idea if the standard kill switch is a normally open or normally closed type? Does anyone have this info. I can get either type, naturally, I want one that will fit the WR450F. Thanks. :thumbsup:

• RichBaker

Posted August 19, 2004 - 09:01 PM

It's normally open.....it makes the connection to ground when pressed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_H

Posted August 19, 2004 - 10:24 PM

how come that's important :thumbsup:

Hill climbing is my only guess.

• ckulzer

Posted August 20, 2004 - 05:52 AM

I run a "dead man switch" for 3 reasons.

1 - when ice riding, a downed bike does not turn into a buzz saw

2 - when trail riding, it is nice to not have your bike reving on it's side while you scramble to figure out why you are on your head

3 - when it is removed, no one else can ride your bike away

I put one on my flat tracker too.

"Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague craving for something salty!" Peter Egan

Ride fast - take chances

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted August 20, 2004 - 05:01 PM

how come that's important :thumbsup:

Hill climbing is my only guess.

How come its important to get a N/O or a N/C? Well, if thats your question, and it was mine, is because one system, it will work, the other it wont. Now if the Yamaha kill switch used only one wire and grounds it to the chassis (handlebars) then its obvious its a N/O switch. I have a new 04 WR450F paid in full, waiting for its arrival and just getting my "ducks in a row" and would like to have it so when it shows up, I install it. Or did you mean "why is it important to have the tether type kill switch? Someone already gave you several of the same reasosn I'd used, another one is if (hasnt happend yet, cross the fingers) in the middle of a wheelie, I go over backwards, fall off, the engine braking on a 12.5:1 engine in the off position will bring the nose right back down and it will slow to a pretty quick stop, unlike a bike still running which can go lots of places you dont want, like over a side. etc. Other good reason I was thinking of is the little extra security when parked. My WR426F isnt easy to start (chicken dance) but the WR450F with e-start will be easy to take. And of course, a spill, its nice to have it shut down while your lying on the trailside regaining your composure. :devil:

I have already orderd new Devol radiator guards, Devol frame guards, Moose skid plate, front and rear monster tubes tether kill switch (now that I know the circuit) and a few other goodies. Now if that darn bike would just show up... :awww:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.