Plastic Stress Marks

9 replies to this topic
  • Eric_F

Posted August 19, 2004 - 10:50 AM

You know those white marks that appear when plastic has been stressed? My WR426 came with a couple on the front left near the radiator. Is there a surefire way to be rid of them short of buying new plastic for your bike?

Thanks,

Eric

• simch

Posted August 19, 2004 - 11:25 AM

Here in the UK you can get a "Plastic RE NEW Kit" that polishes scuffs and scrapes out. I know it works ok, and you get a sheen back on the surface, but I am not too sure if it will bring the colour back, probly not.
Over here, even genuine plastics are cheap, like £12 for a rear fender. Otherwise a nice sticker kit may cover em?

• ddialogue

Posted August 19, 2004 - 11:29 AM

A heat gun works very well at bringing the color back. Be careful, though, because there's a very fine line between bringing the color back and the melting point of the plastic. I usually start on the back/under side in case I get a little carried away... :thumbsup:

• N7SLC

Posted August 19, 2004 - 05:22 PM

A heat gun works very well at bringing the color back. Be careful, though, because there's a very fine line between bringing the color back and the melting point of the plastic. I usually start on the back/under side in case I get a little carried away... :devil:

That's good advice. I've also heard that a hair dryer will work ok
too and not melt the plastic. :thumbsup:

• mtrablue

Posted August 19, 2004 - 07:18 PM

i second the hair dryer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vick115

Posted August 20, 2004 - 05:28 AM

Im gonna have to try that on my YZ, I would never have thought about putting heat on it.

• 1rkcooper

Posted August 20, 2004 - 07:56 PM

a buddy of mine has used the blow dryer and says it works great.

• sparticus

Posted February 12, 2007 - 05:48 PM

I used a propane torch and just lightly dusted the surface of the plastic and it worked great, same as the heat gun though, be careful not to go too far. Torches are more fun because they actually burn fuel!!!!

• yamaha426rider

Posted April 24, 2007 - 07:26 PM

:applause: The white stress marks add charter to your bike

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 24, 2007 - 08:36 PM

i second the hair dryer.

I third it. But use it on the back of the plastics and do is nice and easy. Use this same technique whenever my plastic gets all twisted up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.