best chain for the buck

29 replies to this topic
  • yzf_rider400

Posted August 18, 2004 - 06:04 PM

I know this has been asked before, but what is the best chain for the money. I've heard you shouldn't go O-ring with an MXer; is this true? What's the benefit of an O-ring anyways (longer life due to cushioned effect between links?). Also what would be a good chain guide (not the slide) to get. Thanks guys!

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 18, 2004 - 06:08 PM

o-ring and x-ring chains last a lot longer than standard chains in typical use. They keep the dirt out and the grease in where it's needed. The best chain I have seen is the DID ERV2, but it's pricy. The best value for your dollar that I am aware of is proably the Regina ZRH z-ring. TMDesignworks makes a kit that includes the chain slider, guide and rollers.

• skthom2320

Posted August 18, 2004 - 07:35 PM

That's not a bad price for the Regina chain.

I use DID Xring chains from www.rockymountainmc.com.

About $70.

• moto2000

Posted August 18, 2004 - 08:17 PM

Go with the o-ring/x-ring type chain. Almost zero maintenance and will last a looong time. RK, D.I.D, or Regina are usually good choices for the $

• big t

Posted August 18, 2004 - 08:32 PM

Go with the o-ring/x-ring type chain. Almost zero maintenance and will last a looong time. RK, D.I.D, or Regina are usually good choices for the $

:thumbsup:

• Matt96xr6

Posted August 18, 2004 - 10:30 PM

EK MRDL

• XXX_Thumper

Posted August 19, 2004 - 05:26 AM

DID ERT, has the highest tensile strenth without breaking the $100 range. :thumbsup:

• BigDesto

Posted August 19, 2004 - 09:42 AM

The DID 520MX non-o ring is the highest tinsle stregth they make, same price as ERT. :thumbsup:

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 19, 2004 - 09:53 AM

I also use the DID 520MX..... Mine can last a whole race season if I clean and oil them after every outing. For some reason it is also quieter than the ERT.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• gonzo

Posted August 19, 2004 - 10:20 AM

The DID 520MX non-o ring is the highest tinsle stregth they make, same price as ERT. :thumbsup:

Ditto on this. Just bought one yesterday for 55 bucks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrThumper

Posted August 19, 2004 - 04:10 PM

I like the Moose Performance O-ring chain....not that expensive and its lasted over a year without any strecthing (after the first initial strecth).

• Satch0922

Posted August 19, 2004 - 04:14 PM

o-ring and x-ring chains last a lot longer than standard chains in typical use. They keep the dirt out and the grease in where it's needed. The best chain I have seen is the DID ERV2, but it's pricy. The best value for your dollar that I am aware of is proably the Regina ZRH z-ring. TMDesignworks makes a kit that includes the chain slider, guide and rollers.

I have the Regina O-ring chain and it is TOUGH. 6 rides on mine and still have not had to adjust it! The DID that it replaced need adjusted EVERY trip to the track.

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2004 - 07:13 PM

I have the Regina O-ring chain and it is TOUGH. 6 rides on mine and still have not had to adjust it! The DID that it replaced need adjusted EVERY trip to the track.

I bought one Regina for my CR500 and wore out 3 rear sprockets with the same chain. When I check its fit to the 4th one, it had barely begun to stretch. It never had an "initial stretch". As an old schooler, I was somewhat astounded.

Naturally, when I got my YZ450, I put the same chain on it. I guess I could tighten it a little, but it really doesn't need it. On the other hand, my son's 250F has a DID X, it's holding up OK, but I think the Regina is better. On a smaller bike, the DID has less friction.

Good chains don't "stretch" because the plates get longer, they stretch by wearing at the pivot points, which lets the pins move farther apart than spec. The O rings seal out much of the crud that dirt bikes love to roll around in, and so, reduce wear. They still need to be lubed. Use a good synthetic.

My son's has the Design Works slider, guide and rollers. They are very light, and very tough. The only bad is that the slider is noisey when the chain slaps.

• yzf_rider400

Posted August 19, 2004 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the help guys; I'm leaning towards going with the DID VM (X-ring) chain. It has a tensile strength of 8,120lbs. The DID MX has a tensile strength of 9,000lbs. but is a non O-ring chain. So far I just trail ride but am looking forward to learning to ride track soon; do you think this is a good dual purpose chain (strong enough and is an o-ring)?

• Big_D

Posted August 19, 2004 - 10:13 PM

I do not think you can go wrong with the DID VM. I have over 3K miles on my XR650R with one and it is just starting to go bad.

Just do two things and it should last a long time. Keep the rollers lubed (I like Bel-Ray Super Clean myself) and be careful not to hit the chain with a power washer because it will blow water past the O-rings which will kill the chain quickly.

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 20, 2004 - 02:46 AM

Excellent advice above, the DID VM is also a great chain and should last a very long time. If you're riding off road then you definitely should get an o-ring chain of some type, the VM would be perfect.

....The only bad is that the slider is noisey when the chain slaps.

The newer sliders have a rubber backing on them that really cuts down on the noise. :thumbsup:

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 20, 2004 - 05:55 AM

Honestly the only difference between a (O-Ring) chain and a regular chain, is that the O-Ring/X-Ring chains require less maintenance because the Ring seals the individual link connectors keeping the grease in and the dirt out. When many of us grew up there was not such thing as a ringed chain so we had to manually clean the chan and lube it after every use.....Now come the "Maintenance Free" ringed chains for the "I don't have time for this crowd". I can honestly say that I too have used many ringed chains, but NONE of them has lasted anywhere near as long as the standard non-ringed DID 520MX chains I use now. Yeah they need a little TLC after riding, but it's worth the longevity I get out of em. I guess the only real issue I have with ringed chains and the type of riding I do is that I have found previous o-ring chaines packed with sand that could not escape because of the ring and caused premature failure. As far as worksmanship goes I believe both are far superior products from thos of past years.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 20, 2004 - 06:41 AM

I have used RK 520 o-ring chains for years. They have served me very well.

Suposidly an o-ring chain has more drag due to the o-rings than a non o-ring chain. That is why MX bikes dont have o-rings on them. Less rolling resistance = more power. But is the minisqual power increase worth having to constantly adjust and maintain your chain.... Not to me it aint.

• BigDesto

Posted August 20, 2004 - 07:39 AM

I remember cleaning the chains really good in solvent then baken them in the oven with a coating of perafin wax. I think that if you are constantly running through water and mud it wouldn't be a bad idea for an o-ring. Hardly any rain here and most of the tracks are not sprocket high in mud, so really no need for one. Just my 02 cents.

• yzf_rider400

Posted August 20, 2004 - 11:16 AM

Good advice, thanks. I'm going to go with the DID VM; if I find I don't like it I'll try a non o-ring next time. Anything has got to be better than the stretched out piece of S*#T I'm using now (along with some totally chewed sprockets). :thumbsup:

One more newbie chain question. Is there any other way beyond a chain breaker to cleanly remove a link from one of these chains? Probably not but I thought I'd ask.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.