How long should you keep a Bike

21 replies to this topic
  • Ernie_Taylor

Posted August 18, 2004 - 03:46 PM

How long do you keep your bike before picking up a new one ?
I try to up date every year. I know I loss out around $1000-1500 but I have everything new and for the most part I have a rock solid bike. No end of the session tare down and rebuild. The cost of bike parts are getting way out of hand and if you can't do the job yourself then it's even more $$$.
So what do you think keep the bike for one year, two, three :thumbsup:

• RichBaker

Posted August 18, 2004 - 04:34 PM

I went 13 years between my 90 YZ-WR and my 03 WR450.... :thumbsup:

• CaptRon

Posted August 18, 2004 - 04:56 PM

My 99WR runs like a new one and all I've done to the engine is adjust the valves. It goes through 10 "50+mile enduros" per yr as well as alot of trail riding. I have replaced lots of fork seals and tires. The rear shock has been rebuilt once and all of the suspension and wheel bearings have been replaced but thats not bad for a 5 yr old bike that has been pounded pretty hard.

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 18, 2004 - 06:47 PM

I think 4 -5 years will get your steed ready for the pasture. I would then keep it for a back up/ buddy bike.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 18, 2004 - 06:55 PM

its taken me almost a year to get mine the way i like it still have more to go. i think i'll wear this one out first then rebuild it and wear it out again! maybe by then the new technology might be worth buying. :thumbsup:

• yasotay1

Posted August 18, 2004 - 06:57 PM

I've had my '01 426 since new and havn't had to do a thing to the engine other than adjust the valves. I have a buddy with a '99 400 and he's rebuilt his engine three times and is still riding the hell out of it. I think when you buy new every year your just throwing money away. By the time you get everything you want or need on a stock bike you almost have to start over again. Pricey!

• CaptRon

Posted August 18, 2004 - 07:33 PM

I have a racing buddy who also owns a 99WR400. He too has only had to adjust his valves and do the same wear and tear work that I have. He is in the "A" class and runs 70 to 80 mile races as well as the same amount of trail riding and although his bike looks like it's ready to be put down it still runs like a new one. I plan to try to get at least another season of racing out of mine. We've done the gray wire , cam adjustment, airbox and aftermarket exhaust mods. Rejetting has of course been done.
It's funny I always hatted Yamahas till I rode the WR. :thumbsup:

• YamahaSteve

Posted August 18, 2004 - 08:30 PM

I mostly agree that you should keep it till it is worthless. I love my WR and everything I have done to it is impossible to list. I couldn't imagine starting over on a new one; not to mention my bike has had zero problems so far with 1500 miles on it and I just love this bike in general. I would estimate that in 5 years I will buy new again... maybe :thumbsup:...

One of my riding buddies has a 95 RM250 and it runs good and is good bike still... I have another guy i ride with that has a 92 yamaha 250 2smoke and it runs great and still goes like heck. Nothing really changes on them that much...

• dirtryder52

Posted August 19, 2004 - 09:47 AM

i would keep my bike until i grow out of it(wont happen) lol or until it blows up

• Maddog542

Posted August 19, 2004 - 02:50 PM

Ernie, you must be a single guy, or have a very cool wife! :thumbsup:

I like to keep a bike until it starts feeling ragged out. By ragged out, I mean the suspension feels tired, the motor is tired etc. Probably somewhere in the range of 3-4 years. At that point, it's not really cost effective to redo forks & shock, plus top and bottom ends of the engine. Time to give some fella a deal on a used bike, take what you got from the used one, what you would have spent on all of the rebuild work, add a little more $$$ and get a new steed. :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lewichris

Posted August 19, 2004 - 03:01 PM

How long do you keep your bike before picking up a new one ?
I try to up date every year. I know I loss out around $1000-1500 but I have everything new and for the most part I have a rock solid bike. No end of the session tare down and rebuild. The cost of bike parts are getting way out of hand and if you can't do the job yourself then it's even more $$$.
So what do you think keep the bike for one year, two, three :thumbsup:

your supposed to tear down and rebuild at the end of a season?

OOPS!!

• redrider650r

Posted August 19, 2004 - 03:51 PM

we still have 2 bikes(xr80,xr200) that are from the mid to late 80s that still fire up on the 1st kick :thumbsup:, plus some new rides. Ride 'em till they die!!! :devil:

• timvv51

Posted August 19, 2004 - 05:28 PM

I would say if you are only losing $1500 when you sell off a year old dirt bike you are doin pretty darn good. Including what I lose on taxes and getting the bike set up for me and general depreciation on a bike I have ridden the crap out of for a year if I only lost $2000 I would feel pretty good. Course I always heard if you buy high and sell low it takes the stress out of doin business :thumbsup:

• Hamish

Posted August 20, 2004 - 02:02 AM

Depends on the type of guy you are. I enjoy rebuilding bikes and engines. If my other 1/2 and I had new bikes I wouldnt know what to do with myself after work!
Nothing beats the satisfaction of riding a bike that goes like the clappers and knowing that you know every nut, bolt and washer in the thing. I can never afford new bikes, so I'll generally strip a bike not long after I buy it to see what butchery the previous owner has done.
But if you arent this way inclinded, I'd say 3 years for a dirt bike.
there isnt a new bike on the market that I'd trade my beloved 426 on!

• tigerowner_ut

Posted August 20, 2004 - 06:06 AM

The answer here is that it depends. If you like the bike keep it untill you have trouble finding parts or reliability issues start popping up. For most riders your bikes abilities greatly exceed the riders skill. A great rider on a P.O.S. bike will kick your a$$ every time!

If you are a serious racer every 1-3 years is pretty standard depending on finances.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 20, 2004 - 07:32 AM

boy i must be pretty good then(better than an xr-600 anyway),cuz i go a heck of alot faster on my wr! :thumbsup:

• Sylvain

Posted August 20, 2004 - 09:35 AM

I bought my wr in the fall of 2002. It took me almost a year to set it up to my taste. Supension set up, bigger tank, etc. I'm not as young as I use to be but I don't think about when I ride :thumbsup:. Like it's been said , the bike potential exceeds the rider's ability most of the time. If you do proper maintenance on the bike and change the worn out parts as it comes, you should be able to keep it a looooong time.

• tigerowner_ut

Posted August 20, 2004 - 01:50 PM

boy i must be pretty good then(better than an xr-600 anyway),cuz i go a heck of alot faster on my wr! :thumbsup:

That probably depends on the trail. A XR will out chug a WR anytime on a rocky nasty technical section unless you have an auto clutch or are a clutch master. Elsewhere you are probably right.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 20, 2004 - 02:43 PM

well after owning an xr600 ( 85,89,97) i'd say that my wr outdoes it in every dept. even rocky technical stuff! sorry the wr is just leaps and bounds better!"and thats all i have to say about that" :thumbsup:

• dale

Posted August 20, 2004 - 04:09 PM

[/QUOTE]

your supposed to tear down and rebuild at the end of a season?

OOPS!!

[/QUOTE]

I do a complete tear down on a new bike after I ride around the yard a couple hours to break it in. Then at least once a year. I just keep my old XR's because they still run great and aren't worth that much to sell. It's a lot easier to setup and cheaper for special tools if you stick with one kind of bike. Especially when it's one they don't change for 10 years.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.