Grey Wire Modification

14 replies to this topic
  • Eric_F

Posted August 18, 2004 - 01:43 PM

I have a 2002 wr426 and I read up on the grey wire modification. I was wondering.....If you do not advance the cam timing, can you still get more power at higher revs out of the engine by changing the ignition curve with the grey wire while not causing any harm?

• jchantzWR400F

Posted August 18, 2004 - 02:08 PM

I did the grey wire mod before advancing to yz timing. I did not cause any harm. I don't think it actually made more power. If anything, started a little easier and seemed to build rev's quicker. It makes the biggest difference when you actually switch to yz timing (which I highly recommend).

• Boneman

Posted August 18, 2004 - 04:36 PM

Call me stupid, call me lazy, just don't call me late to dinner. I tried to search for info but only find "yeah, I did it". I just picked up a new 04 WR450 today and would like to know:
-What are all of the free mods
-What impact (pro and con)
-How to do it

If someone wants to provide links I promise I will follow them and read them!

:thumbsup:

• tcmII

Posted August 18, 2004 - 05:56 PM

There are two very good references to the free mods:

Thumperfaq
MXoffroad Project WR450

Also, heres a list of the "free mods"

Remove the air box cover.
Remove the exhaust baffle. (not the spark arrestor)
YZ throttle stop. (free if you cut it, ~$15.00 if you buy it)
Disconnect the grey wire.
Retime the exhaust cam. (there are a "jillion" post on this including some thoughs on the effect of the retime on auto decompression. I think that I have a PDF file for earlier models)

The site and this list should get you started. The first three will give you big improvements will little effort.

• Boneman

Posted August 18, 2004 - 05:57 PM

SWEET!!! Thanks again.

• Maddog542

Posted August 18, 2004 - 09:21 PM

Boneman,

On your 04 I don't believe you will be removing the airbox cover, because it isn't the same setup as previous model years from what I understand. The airbox mod on the 04 involves cutting out the 2 notched triangles under your right side number plate. However when you do this, be prepared to rejet the bike. JD recommends increasing 2 jet sizes, and lifting the needle 1 postition when this mod is done. If you do not rejet, you will have the bog from hell going on. You will be cutting 11mm off the stock throttle stop to make it the same length as the YZ unit.

• 5valve

Posted August 18, 2004 - 11:19 PM

hello
I'm new to this forum but no so new in the yammy lovin business

I own a '99 WR400 and would be very glad if somebody could tell me where exactly this grey wire is situated?

I already made a few mods like YZ timing, moded stock muffler (european model wich has no removable rear), but just a few days ago I went back to WR timing to observe the diffrence - low end power is somehow more useful for the trails I ride because of the steep uphills through felled lodges, stones and wheaps of mud

so the grey wire?
thanks,
Denis

Slovenija (EU)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SteadyEddy

Posted August 19, 2004 - 12:20 AM

Hey denis,
Welcome to TT, check out this link, might be the same location for the 400, not to sure.

http://www.off-road....4/runright.html

check your PM's

• 5valve

Posted August 19, 2004 - 12:46 AM

more or less that should be it!
thank you very much

• simch

Posted August 19, 2004 - 08:33 AM

My local dealer runs WRs and YZs in supermotard trim. They reported nothing from disconnecting the grey wire on a UK spec 2003 WR450 apart from a real bad misfire!! They connected it back up and it ran fine!

Anyone else heard of this or do you think they just pulled the wrong wire?? May it have been jetting??

• captain_S

Posted August 19, 2004 - 11:55 AM

Dunno bout the 400/450,but euro mod 426 grey wire is not connected!

• SteadyEddy

Posted August 19, 2004 - 01:03 PM

I installed a switch and mounted in on the handle bars, I can't seem to notice any differance at all with mine when I change the switch.

• lewichris

Posted August 19, 2004 - 03:46 PM

Call me stupid, call me lazy, just don't call me late to dinner. I tried to search for info but only find "yeah, I did it". I just picked up a new 04 WR450 today and would like to know:
-What are all of the free mods
-What impact (pro and con)
-How to do it

If someone wants to provide links I promise I will follow them and read them!

:thumbsup:

hey stupid, hey lazy, oh sorry. Just doing what you asked.

• tcmII

Posted August 19, 2004 - 05:54 PM

Check fig. 1 on this link Thumperfaq gray wire on my '98 WR the gray wire was part of a 2 wire connector.

• mtrablue

Posted August 19, 2004 - 07:23 PM

madddog, '04 still has the airbox intake insert. it's gotta come out. you may need a screw driver to help get it over the battery strap clip rivets.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.