The Role Of The Moderator

13 replies to this topic
  • Maddog542

Posted August 18, 2004 - 07:37 AM

We see complaints now about the quality and content of posts on the WR forum. This Forum has been almost single-handely taken down by one clown. :thumbsup:

Having been a Moderator myself of a popular boat racing site in the past, I understand the frustration of the membership in trolls who ruin a nice site. Whether their assualt be deliberate or unintentional, it matters not. What matters is the quality of the site has suffered, and membership is losing interest. This is especially critical in the situation of a site like Thumper Talk, which runs a store, and who's customer base must remain loyal to the site and it's cause.

The job of a Moderator in these instances is to decide which garbage to scrap in order to restore the site to a level of decorum. A Moderator should warn overzealous posters about littering a site with meaningless posts. A good Moderator will protect the integrity of the site, bottom line.

The quality of a board will only be as good as it's membership, but more importantly.......only as good as it's Moderator. I suggest that we ask our Moderator to roll up his sleeves, step in and return the site to the quality it has been. He can do this with nothing more than reading through the Forum and making some keystrokes. The offending member(s) should be warned, and ultimately banned from the site if they do not heed the warnings of the Moderator.

It's just that simple friends. Thanks for listening. :devil:

• lewichris

Posted August 18, 2004 - 07:50 AM

Please enlighten us on who this clown is, so we may do a little backwoods justice

• Maddog542

Posted August 18, 2004 - 08:02 AM

I'll give you a little clue.... As of this writing, he has authored 15 different threads in the last 3 pages. Many of them are about drag racing against quads. :thumbsup:

• simch

Posted August 18, 2004 - 08:05 AM

I cannot believe you don't know who he means, Lewichris. You have been telling some of us elsewhere to lay off this fool "MM". Even though we are only having a bit of fun! :thumbsup:

• yamaha.dude

Posted August 18, 2004 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for the concise summary... Yes, it is a balancing act between content control and freedom of speech... I saw MM's posting spree the other day, and although I had all his posts ready to delete, I figured that, as in the past, most of the other members would either ignore the post, or answer the question... I do not like to delete posts because someone is new and cannot use the search function, but yes, the content was something that was just meant to be ignored - who cares about drag racing quads, or max speed... we have all seen these posts before, and the poster usually gets the idea that no-one else knows or cares because their are no replies...

I will step in if posts are reported to me, I cannot read every post or reply... I do not always get to the forum everyday, and as past experience has shown... the guys and gals on TT are pretty good at self-moderation... esp. now there is an Off Topic forum for the other stuff that once cluttered the bike forums...

Issue like this are being discussed by the mods and owners... stay tuned...

Regards,

David

• RCannon

Posted August 18, 2004 - 03:31 PM

I dont think people should be allowed to come in and post garbage (50 drag racing threads)....then be allowed to hide under "freedome of speech". If there was complete freedome of speech, there could and would be no moderator.

I have no problem with you folks deleting what you think is necessary. If my posts get deleted under this umbrella, then so be it.

This forum is way too valuable to let a few people screw it up.

• CaptRon

Posted August 18, 2004 - 05:08 PM

I agree dump all of Marcusluxumbergers posts and push him back to newbie status.
That'll teach em. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tcmII

Posted August 18, 2004 - 05:44 PM

At first I was annoyed by MM posts. After realizing that they were a waste of time I just stopped opening them.

I think that all of us can be moderators by simply ignoring the post of people like MM. If no opened or responded to any of the post, he would likely go away.

I also think that the moderators need to help guide the new folks and what for the likes of MM and take quick action.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted August 18, 2004 - 05:44 PM

I am a big believer in self moderating in forums, most of us are adults here. I treat posts such that were posted as troll posts or nonsense, the best defense is not to reply to them. I notice that some of those so called nonsense posts have a lot of replies to them albeit most just flaming the poster. I dont believe the poster is a troll but just someone who was a little carried away by his interest in the forum, maybe he is a newbie in all respects to this.

• N7SLC

Posted August 18, 2004 - 06:33 PM

Well said...

Although, I don't believe that free speech applies to a private
forum. TT is privately owned and funded, therefore you follow
the rules or you're out.

Period.

It's way past time for BW to speak softly and carry a big stick! :thumbsup:

• Gadsen

Posted August 18, 2004 - 07:21 PM

Well said...

Although, I don't believe that free speech applies to a private
forum. TT is privately owned and funded, therefore you follow
the rules or you're out.

Period.

It's way past time for BW to speak softly and carry a big stick! :thumbsup:

Bingo, 73 N7SLC! (from another ham)

Your reply was right on. Freedom of speech isnt required in a privately owned forum. :devil: :awww: :lol:

• Maddog542

Posted August 18, 2004 - 09:11 PM

I can sort of see what a couple of you are saying with the "so what, no big deal" mentality regarding people like this MM character. However, this site is someone's livelihood or sideline business. As a business owner myself I have two objections to your rationale.

First, when my customer is not satisfied I want to know about it! All of us members at TT are essentially the "customer base". I refuse to stand by idle while someone tears down another's efforts. Second, as a businessman, my time is limited. I want the meat and potatoes on the WR forum. I simply don't have time to sift through the refuse that has been posted here as of late. A little good natured fun is one thing, blatant disregard for the site is another.

I appreciate that the Moderators and Admin plan on keeping the standards of the site high. We're it not so, I simply wouldn't make time for the site anymore, and I'm sure others feel the same way.

• SteadyEddy

Posted August 19, 2004 - 12:35 AM

At first I was annoyed by MM posts. After realizing that they were a waste of time I just stopped opening them.

I think that all of us can be moderators by simply ignoring the post of people like MM. If no one opened or responded to any of the post, he would likely go away.

I totally agree, ignoring the problem will sometimes make it disapear, hopefully they will get the message.
my 2 cents :thumbsup:

• JVP

Posted August 19, 2004 - 07:57 PM

I agree there is no freedom of speech in a private form. We have monitors for a reason. :devil: The Web Master is also allowed to block the IP address of the sender to stop him from logging on with a new name. I still enjoy the forum, but there are a couple of guys who are out of control. If they were in the other topics that support this stuff I would be less offended. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.