What tires to run in woods

12 replies to this topic
  • edbaja

Posted August 16, 2004 - 04:52 PM

I know this has probably been posted somwhere in the last 25000 posts but instead of reading all the search hits for tires I figured I would ask again. I am running Dunlop 736 (9?) and after just a few rides (like 4 -30 milers) the knobs are well worn and rounded. I know this has alot to do with how much the tire is sliding and spinning. I thought I would ask other 650r owners what they are running. Is the trade to a harder tire worth the traction trade-off?

• tirebiter

Posted August 16, 2004 - 05:42 PM

ed,
I've gone thru 3 tires since march on my pig, finally settled on IRC'S VE33 5:10/18.
Ran it for years on my old 490, only tire the sucker wouldn't rip the knobs off....
Takes awhile to break in, ( six ply ), but hooks up nice & 'fits' the pig's manners...

• big t

Posted August 16, 2004 - 06:22 PM

I run a Dunlop 756 on the front and Maxxis IT in back. Works great.

• malevolent73

Posted August 16, 2004 - 08:20 PM

Maxxis H/T, or I/T rear kick butt!! I just ran the H/T, sticky like a BOOGER!!! :thumbsup:

• mikekay

Posted August 16, 2004 - 08:30 PM

edbaja wants to know about woods tires for a 650...
You ever ride in the pine trees above Mikes?

• tirebiter

Posted August 17, 2004 - 04:05 PM

edbaja,
After the mikekay's post, I'll clarify....
I ride woods about 90 % of the time..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • edbaja

Posted August 18, 2004 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for all the imput. I will try the IRC tires and see how they work. Most of the riding I do up here is single track with a good helping of rocks. The damage from rocks is pretty easy to identify :thumbsup: it's the rate of rounding the knobs off that is bothersome.
Ed

• JackAttack

Posted August 18, 2004 - 02:04 PM

I have been trying a "Kenda Carlsbad" front tire now for a couple long weekend rides and it has been working great. Everything from sand to rocks to trees. I will definately be buying another one, and they are cheap. I used to run Dunlap 756 on the front, this Kenda tire lasts 3 times as long and has the same traction.

Just my two cents. :thumbsup:

• tirebiter

Posted August 18, 2004 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for all the imput. I will try the IRC tires and see how they work. Most of the riding I do up here is single track with a good helping of rocks. The damage from rocks is pretty easy to identify :thumbsup: it's the rate of rounding the knobs off that is bothersome.

Cool! here's the deal..Run 14psi front & rear during the summer, and be careful till they break in..usually about 3 rides.
If you order the front also, it's a VE35, 3:00x21 (6 ply)
the metric front VE35 ( 80/something?) is a 4 ply...Again, it's a great combo, post your findings!

Dan

• CISCO

Posted September 06, 2004 - 09:33 PM

To chime in here, the IRC is a good all around tire. I found it to be squishy feeling compared to Michellins or Pirellis, but it lasts a long time and wont round. Wears even and wont chunk. Just has a ......soft squishy feel to it.

The Maxxis IT or HT 120-100-18 is also a long wearing non chunking beast of a tire. Downfall: HEAVY AS HELL!!!!! But sticky like a booger as someone said earlier :thumbsup:

• beer_studd_76

Posted September 06, 2004 - 09:47 PM

S 12 front

any old thing you want on the back. my 600 would find traction with a racing slick mounted

jeremiah

• tirebiter

Posted September 07, 2004 - 02:34 AM

Cisco, If you run at least 14lbs in it the "squishy" feeling goes away. I tried running it at 10-12 lbs, no dice..squirm like a worm... :thumbsup:

• 600ish

Posted September 07, 2004 - 08:07 PM

Hey man, I'm doing the same kind of riding type you are and I'm running a Kenda Carlsbad and it is great in intermediate to hard terrain, wearing way better than I expected and the price is good and before that I had the Maxxcross IT and it was great as well. I've been running a Maxxcross IT front it works and wears well.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.