deep water crossings

6 replies to this topic
  • allan68

Posted August 15, 2004 - 07:00 PM

I don't know if there is much water down there in the Baja, but has anyone done any simple mods for water crossings?

Some dielectric grease on the spark plug will help, I guess.
Are there vent hoses that should be re-routed upwards?

Did a couple of water crossings this weekend on an awesome 200 km dual sport ride, took on some water somewhere, and I was sputtering and backfiring at high revs for the next hr. or so. No fun on those giant hill climbs. lol
My '94 was literally backfiring flames out my Yoshi pipe.
I didn't realize this until someone told me at the end of the ride.

Al

• allan68

Posted August 17, 2004 - 11:43 AM

Nobody crossing any water here?
Or has no one had any problems with water crossings?

Al

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 17, 2004 - 01:30 PM

The XR650R has no problem with water crossing. I love em water crossings on a hot summer day. Yahoooooooo. :devil: :thumbsup: :awww:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dutch

Posted August 17, 2004 - 01:42 PM

Hello Al -
I see by your first post your bike is an 94 so I'm figuring it's an XR600/650L.
Take the time to post the profile of your ride, then we can try to help you figure your "fire out the pipe" problem.

• Thumprding

Posted August 18, 2004 - 06:03 AM

What do you call deep water? I have had my XR600R in water above the tires and never had a problem. The only issue is that the motor cools down a lot and does not want to run that great until it warms back up.

I did my best Captin Nemo impression on it once. I mean submaried the bike. Three guys to yank it out. Drained the carb, pulled the plug, blew the water out of the cylinder and started it up. Changed the oil when I got back to camp but other than that no issues.

• BRP27

Posted August 18, 2004 - 06:15 PM

I have an opened air box. If there is a question on the depth of the water I walk the crossing first.

• XR650R_Bob

Posted August 19, 2004 - 09:23 AM

I've crossed in about 3 feet of ICE COLD snow melt before. No problems with the bike but I almost got frost bite. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.