SPARK PLUG

31 replies to this topic
  • marcusmoberg

Posted August 15, 2004 - 11:40 AM

How in the world do you get to the spark plug on a wr400f? Do you have to remove the gas tank? :thumbsup:

• YamahaSteve

Posted August 15, 2004 - 11:53 AM

Yes. On my 04 450 I need to remove the seat so that I can remove the tank. Even then the frame makes it a tight fit for your tools to get dwn in there to the plug... my 04 came with a tool that is designed for pulling the plug.

• marcusmoberg

Posted August 15, 2004 - 11:59 AM

THAT'S SOME YAPPITY CRAPPITY!!! :thumbsup:

• RCannon

Posted August 15, 2004 - 01:41 PM

Marcus, have you bought a powerband for your bike yet? You need one. They are great. I think one of the guys on the board was tryiong to sell one. I think he had a red one.

• simch

Posted August 15, 2004 - 01:48 PM

MArcus, you will find it easier to rmove the tank, fit the plug spanner in a bench vice, the lift the bike up, positioning the plug hex in the spanner. Then, by merely rotating the motorcycle approximately 15 complete turns, you will see the plug has been removed.

Simple when you know how.

Glad to be of help.

• marcusmoberg

Posted August 15, 2004 - 03:00 PM

what! what! Powerbands suck! Once you get off the Powerband for 1 second it's hard to get back on the powerband! Powerbands are for 2-strokes only! I have power everywhere! Low, mid, and high rpm! :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted August 15, 2004 - 03:05 PM

somebody pull this dudes plug please! he's causin' way too much profanity for my virgin eyes to handle :thumbsup:

• chrome-crf

Posted August 15, 2004 - 06:35 PM

Wow, marcusmoberg is making so many new friends here that he has our fellow TT'ers devulging their best tips and tricks of how to work on your bike the professional way :thumbsup: I guess I will give you one of my tips too. Always be sure to hold the throttle wide open when starting the bike. It will start up in no time :devil:

• SteadyEddy

Posted August 15, 2004 - 10:43 PM

MArcus, you will find it easier to rmove the tank, fit the plug spanner in a bench vice, the lift the bike up, positioning the plug hex in the spanner. Then, by merely rotating the motorcycle approximately 15 complete turns, you will see the plug has been removed.

Simple when you know how.

Glad to be of help.

:thumbsup: :devil: :awww:
thats funny

• marcusmoberg

Posted August 16, 2004 - 05:54 PM

Yea Right! You think I am that stupid! It would flood the bike! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Oasis_Flame

Posted August 17, 2004 - 07:00 AM

Tilt the bars forward and remove both tires, the plug will come right out. Works for me! :thumbsup:

• Ol'89r

Posted August 19, 2004 - 09:08 AM

How in the world do you get to the spark plug on a wr400f? Do you have to remove the gas tank? :thumbsup:

No, you don't have to remove the gas tank. The way we do it is to remove the seat and unbolt the gas tank and raise it up aprox. 8". But don't remove it.
Then, unbolt the sub-frame and swing it up out of the way. Remove the carburator, cables and fuel lines and hoses. Unhook the oil lines and drain the oil. Unbolt the top engine mount,( this is why you have to raise the tank 8") and then unbolt the front and lower engine mounts. Loosen the swingarm bolt and slide it out. Unhook all wire connections and remove the engine from the right side of the frame.

With the engine sitting on the floor you will find that the spark plug is now easy to access.

The clamping of the plug wrench in a vice and spinning the motorcycle doesn't work unless you have the special Work's Contraption spark plug wrench with the extended handle. Otherwise the wheels of your motorcycle will hit the bench when you try to unscrew the motorcycle from the spark plug.

Jeeze you guys. :thinking:This ain't rocket surgery ya know. :devil:

• SANMAN222

Posted August 19, 2004 - 09:30 AM

I USALLY DROP THE MOTOR WHEN I HAVE TO CHANGE THE PLUG.

STEP 1: REMOVE FRONT & REAR TIRE
STEP 2: REMOVE TANK AND SHROUDS
STEP 3: REMOVE MOTOR FROM FRAME
STEP 4: PULL HEAD OF ENGINE
STEP 5: CHANGE PLUG

ALWAYS HOLD THE BLACK WIRE IN YOUR HAND TO CHECK FOR SPARK!!

• dirtryder52

Posted August 19, 2004 - 09:46 AM

man thats messed up not telling him the right way to do it!!!\

al right u take the sprak plug socket stick it in the hole for the plug then take it out again then hit ur self upside the head with it three times and repeat as needed it will probably take about 5 times to get it out :thumbsup:

• simch

Posted August 19, 2004 - 11:19 AM

dirtryder52 is right apart from one thing. Before fitting the plug, you must check it sparks or all that reassembly is wasted.
Best to fit the plug to the cap, then place the spark end of the plug on your tongue. Turn the motor over on the kick start. You should know if the plug works!! :thumbsup:

• bluebike1999

Posted December 01, 2006 - 02:38 AM

more great stuff, does marcus still visit?

• Beejay

Posted December 01, 2006 - 03:21 PM

:worthy: whats up, why's Marcus getting the treatment?:D

• F6dood

Posted December 01, 2006 - 04:52 PM

I thought we were going to get some useful spark plug insight here. Instead, we got sarcastic babble.

• 04450wrF

Posted December 01, 2006 - 10:39 PM

its called humour, its just a shame you have to go back 500 pages to find it.

• ckulzer

Posted December 04, 2006 - 11:05 AM

I thought we were going to get some useful spark plug insight here. Instead, we got sarcastic babble.

Useful insight on a thread called "Spark Plug"??? :worthy:

This forum used to be loaded with skilled, knowledgeable riders that we all could learn from. But instead, they now go elsewhere and we get stuck with trash like "What color bars should I use" and "Does JD make a jet kit for my toilet?"

When you see everyone rip on a poster, you should do a search and look at the subjects and postings. This zero named “marcusmoberg” has been asking dumb ass questions for a few years and it truly has polluted the gene pool. This garbage brings no value to a forum that contains racers and serious riders.

If you are a novice/newbie, that is cool. Sit back, search the 1233 pages of information – learn and research the valuable data that was generated over the years. The folks that used to summit data were very sharp..Where is Taffy or LarryCO? I would guess that they have gone to another forum that doesn’t waste their time.

Be respectful to all of your fellow users by researching your questions first and allow the people that really do know more than us to give their input. If all the smart guys go away, then it is just losers talking about why the rear tire on their WR is black and has knobs on it.

Respectfully yours,

Chad

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.