XR600R top end overhaul

3 replies to this topic
  • minioutlaw

Posted August 15, 2004 - 11:01 AM

I'm rebuilding my '97 XR600R, and it looks worse inside than I had anticipated. I planned on new valve guides and maybe a piston/rings. Once I got in there, the cam looked to be beyond hope and so do the rockers. That being the case, what else should I be looking at replacing? So far on my list is:

gaskets
cam
rockers
piston/rings
valve guides

What about valves and/or valve springs? Anything else that might have suffered knowing that the cam is in bad shape?

Also, I have been looking at OEM parts at bikebandit, and I emailed service honda; any other good sources for quality parts?

Thanks for the help,

• truck6driver

Posted August 15, 2004 - 02:51 PM

I do suggest Kibble White guides and valves. The guides last longer than OEM and are cheaper. Also a mild port job will help since you are in there. The key word is mild. Don't get too wild.
Ray

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • POB

Posted August 16, 2004 - 09:00 AM

another good source for parts is www.ronayers.com.
Their prices might be slightly above Service Honda, but well below Bike Bandit.
Also, are you planning on changing the valves as well ? or just he guides (note that with the guides changed, you'll need a 3 angle job)

• minioutlaw

Posted August 16, 2004 - 04:36 PM

I don't know what I'm replacing. If replacing the guides means I need a valve job too, maybe I would be better off just replacing the valves. Maybe valve springs, too? What do you think? I decided that I want to do the rebuild right, and not worry too much about money; I don't want to have to go back in in a year or so because I skimped on something. I'm mad I'm missing riding during the fast dwindling summer, and I don't want to miss anymore riding than necessary in the future. Thanks for the help,

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.