Trying a new modification XR650R

8 replies to this topic
  • smashinz2002

Posted August 14, 2004 - 06:38 PM

I don't know if any of you guys have tried this setup, but I did the following things this weekend and tried it out. The bike now hauls ass BIG TIME!! Huge, Giant Torque off the low end, Brutal mid-range!!If you haven't tried this out, you might like the resulting power increase, if you can hang on!
1. Bike was already uncorked/jetted with the 175 at 600' alt
2. New mod--Remove HRC exhaust tip, the can is now "open".
3. New mod--Install 180 main jet, all other carb settings
remain the same (b3e needle 3rd position, etc.)
4. New mod--Drill numerous 1/4" holes in the airbox to
improve breathing (backed by a riveted-in screen)
5. New mod--Mix fuel, 60/40, super-unleaded to avgas 100LL

I'm at 600' of elevation, so your jetting may vary. I'm not a bike expert or a racer, but I can promise you that the low-end and mid-range snap from these mods kicks ass, literally! Wick it open and hang the hell on!

• mikekay

Posted August 14, 2004 - 08:52 PM

yep-
Holes in the side cover.....
i put the stock pipe back on last year....take the HRC tip off--its just an open can when its race time. Add some race gas. Adjust the carb....and hang on!
Some ear plugs are a good idea as well...
Dont try this north of the border unless you are on a closed course!
Add a cam, carilo rod, hd valvessprings, and a higher compression piston-have the crank machine-balanced, bore it out to a 680---crack the throttle now THATS a rush!

• smashinz2002

Posted August 15, 2004 - 06:18 PM

Ah man that's gotta be awesome dude! Someday, when I have the cash, I've got to do the overbore and cam!
I'm quite impressed how well this engine responds to very simple intake and exhaust mods, quite impressive the improvements you can get out of it compared to other bikes I've owned in the past. It even seems to be fairly sensitive to fuel changes, which is a good thing. It's like, how fast do you want to go today? haha. well, ya know, I wanna go like FAST.. mmkay ?
'00 XR650R
Posted Image

• mikekay

Posted August 16, 2004 - 07:55 AM

yeah you make a good point that seems to be never mentioned about the BRP.

Our bike must have more performance lurking inside--some of it available with relatively changes--than just aobut any other bike.
Plus -- it done correctly the performance mods still leave the BRP a reliable bike--even a fully built 680 with crank, rod, valves, increased compression, cam, etc. will outlast the stock CRF450R or CRF250R's---both with quick wearing short skirt pistons, little oil resevoirs, and marginal coated valves (that fail).
I really like that about the BRP. It can be built to the hilt and still do 7000+ miles. Try that on a stock CRF450 or WR or KTM...let alone a built one.
For super high perfromance 4 strokes the BRP blows the competition away when it comes to total power, AND durability.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rokatt88

Posted August 17, 2004 - 09:48 AM

Plus -- it done correctly the performance mods still leave the BRP a reliable bike--even a fully built 680 with crank, rod, valves, increased compression, cam, etc. will outlast the stock CRF450R or CRF250R's---both with quick wearing short skirt pistons, little oil resevoirs, and marginal coated valves (that fail).
I really like that about the BRP. It can be built to the hilt and still do 7000+ miles. Try that on a stock CRF450 or WR or KTM...let alone a built one.
For super high perfromance 4 strokes the BRP blows the competition away when it comes to total power, AND durability.

Oh so true! I bought my son his CRF250R last November. I've posted here and there about what a great bike it is and how much fun it is to ride. And it is! What it is not though is burley. The CRF250X may be beter for off roading but the the R is a high performance MX bike with high performance maintanence up keep & cost. Our CRF250R has been pretty much babied. I get my kids every other week and we go riding as much as we can. What I am trying to say, is that this is not a bike that gets thrashed every weekend at MX tracks and put away wet. We have always changed the oil after rides, clean the air filters, check and make sure we have oil after or during long rides at Ocotillo. My son just turned 15, is a good novice to intermediate rider and knows that lugging or over-revving is not good for an engine. It still has the original rear tire for gods-sake (OK-I was milking it, it should have and will have a new skin!) but come on! I had the valves checked a few rides after break-in. About 4-5 rides later the bike doesn't start and I check the valves...all tight with the right intake reeeelly tight. Took it back to ECC, who did the orig. shim job, I need new intake valves and piston and ring. This is gonna cost some dough. I can work on 2 smokes and adjust my valves on my mighty XR, but I'm not up to speed on F-1 style engines yet(to tear them down and bolt them back up)! This has me totally re-evaluating what my next bike for me is going to be. I was planning on getting a new 2005 CRF450R, actually I was even thinking of getting my own CRF250R. Not now, no way. I'm taking a real hard look back at all of the fun I've had on my 650 and how reliable it's been. If anything, I might go for the new 2005 YZ250 2 smoke. The YZ seems to work pretty good for Ty Davis, and I KNOW how to change a piston & rings on a 2 stroke and I KNOW it's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing CRF top ends. Sheesh!

I am in no way knocking the CRF's. I LOVE them! But, for the riding I do, they aren't designed to take sustained high speeds that apparently eat valves and one ring pistons. I sure hope that's the reason Honda is taking so long to come out with the CRF450/550X - whatever.

Come over here Piggy and give Ol' Rokatt a hug! :thumbsup: :devil:

• BWB63

Posted August 17, 2004 - 01:46 PM

Sounds like your an Adrenalin junky :thumbsup: won't be long and you'll be looking for more :lol:
Once I got over piss'n all over myself from adding a header, muffler, holes in the air cover, UNI, I got a Mikuni...........once my pants dried out from that I went 680 with the extras, race gas and that wasn't that scary till it started kicking in right at the end of my Pismo trip. I Major babied it till I got over 200 miles on it and four oil changes. Last day at pismo I could feel it creaping up on me :awww: it just need a reason to point to the sky as I crused in fourth. :devil:

• qadsan

Posted August 17, 2004 - 02:29 PM

it just need a reason to point to the sky as I crused in fourth.

:thumbsup: :devil: :awww:

• BWB63

Posted August 17, 2004 - 04:55 PM

When I saw this new bread of swine it was just a little more power then when pig was still young. I knew it was tight and most of all the small amount of new power was higher up. At the bottom it was almost the same old pig. Barnum told me that it would be a different squealer at 300 miles. I had to be on the road to feal and see the new power. At a 167 miles (153 miles were on the road) I changed the oil for the third time and put a 560 10 paddle on.....off to pismo. It was standing up in third once I got it up in the RPM's ....by the third day (238 miles) it was getting to where it was standing up almost all the time. I was running 13/45 (that's close to stock) sprockets. Then on the fourth day as I started chacing this pig a little harder I was out to see what it had; somewhere around 4k RPM in forth it just would stand up. No cluch just a pump, a small rise, any little reason and it would stand up. Never would do that before. It has 273 miles on it now. It was a new monster paddle so, it will have to be tested in length with a new tire out in it's usual habitat. It will be rough but, someone has to get info on the 680 Oinker....this breed of pig is not that well known to the mass'.....it's a lot of sorness and pain and long hours but, I'll brave it for man-kind :thumbsup: It's kind of like a National Goegraphic Studdy on hangus ontous majorkicka$$ahcheekus differnet from the "hangus ontous assahcheekus" If found the real name for our Squealer at http://www.xr650r.us/ about mid-way down the page. This page does talk about the 680 at the bottom as being a copy of qadsan's writing on the the power of the different species

• smashinz2002

Posted August 17, 2004 - 06:16 PM

All I know is that the 650R engine makes a LOT OF POWER and keeps on running and running! Honda got it right with this one.
Just the other day, I let a friend of mine ride mine, he weighs around 230lbs. After getting on it hard, I heard him yell from the distance, "dayum!" Yeah, that's right, it's fast dude! haha.
Fortunately, I only weigh 180lbs, so I can feel even MORE of that Sweeeet Power! :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.