GPR worth the cost?

15 replies to this topic
  • FlyByWire

Posted August 14, 2004 - 06:35 PM

Hey guys.. Ive got one riding season in on my BRP. With the cooler temps just around the corner, Im anxious to get back on it. Was wondering if the GPR (or scotts for that matter) is worth the money for the performance you get out of it. The reason I like the GPR is the under the bar mount.. I need to add about 2 in to my bar height to get them where Im comfortable... With me getting more and more comfortable on the bike.. I want to start going faster and faster. Thanks for any opinions
Brett

• mikekay

Posted August 14, 2004 - 09:01 PM

get the V2 GPR with the +/- 2 inch risers...awesome for riding while standing up--which is a faster, better way to go longer...especially if you are around 6' or so...sadly i wrote Scotts and they said they couldnt do an under the handlebar mount for our bike...they do for KTM's....
Bastards!

• loufish

Posted August 14, 2004 - 09:13 PM

Worth the cost? I truely believe so. My BRP has headshake at speed, on the soft stuff, and it's gone now, plus I've hit some rocks that I'm sure the Stabilizer kept the bars from leaving my hands.

• jws

Posted August 15, 2004 - 05:40 AM

i am 6'4" and love my GPR :thumbsup: :awww: :devil:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Naru

Posted August 15, 2004 - 08:32 AM

Hey jws, does the post for the dampner sit in the front then for your GPR, instead of over the oil-filler cap on the rider-side? I was thinking of purchasing the V2, but didn't know if it would work with my Electrex DS kit since the clearance is so tight in the front with that DS kit. Thanks.

• jws

Posted August 15, 2004 - 10:09 AM

does the post for the dampner sit in the front then for your GPR, instead of over the oil-filler cap

yes - i have the baja designs kit and there is plenty of room :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• Naru

Posted August 15, 2004 - 11:05 AM

Ok cool. Actually, if you have the time, could you measure the distance from the TC to the farthest point on the bracket (which looks like it would be right below the weld)? It would save me a huge headache calling up GPR. Once again, thanks MUCH. :thumbsup:

PS - Sorry about post hijacking. :devil: I'm probably going to be buying the GPR V2, so there's my vote.

• jws

Posted August 15, 2004 - 11:16 AM

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Naru

Posted August 15, 2004 - 11:22 AM

:awww: :thumbsup: :devil:

• SMOKE

Posted August 15, 2004 - 01:41 PM

no to post hijack but jws how much did that set up cost you because i just got the same top tripple and dont want to have to buy a new one to get a stablizer and will protapers fit that kind of mounts do they make bigbar mounts thanks

mike

• jws

Posted August 15, 2004 - 02:08 PM

how much did that set up cost you because i just got the same top tripple and dont want to have to buy a new one to get a stablizer and will protapers fit that kind of mounts do they make bigbar mounts thanks

mike

$575 for applied tripple clamp, stabilizer and applied bars - i dont know what the stabilizer by itself would cost and protapers will fit

jeff :thumbsup:

• mikekay

Posted August 15, 2004 - 03:41 PM

i am ready to switch from Scotts to GPR.

anyone else want to buy a GPR?

We could try a group purchase. Just an idea....lemme know

• Mikie1

Posted August 17, 2004 - 03:28 AM

I prefer the Scotts damper, so I made my own under-the-bars setup. I sure didn't get any help from Scotts, though. I used ProTaper bar mounts for a CR80, welded on 19mm tabs for the damper mount, shortened the tower/ post, & ground down the top of the steering stem flush with the nut when tightened down (about 3 threads). I use a BRP triple clamp. With these bar mounts, the bars are raised 25 mm over stock, and about 2 mm more forward than BRP's forward mount. You need a +34mm link arm for the Scotts damper (same as with their forward mount kit) and the front tower. I think the GPR tower might be better, and it's only $70 instead of $139. Scotts only makes a step-down link arm, so I had to grind a little on that too (no big deal, only a couple mm) to clear the nut. Anyone interested email me for pics.

Mike

• BIGGITY

Posted August 17, 2004 - 06:07 AM

i am 6'4" and love my GPR :thumbsup: :devil: :awww:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Hey Jws, I've been looking for one of those pads to cover my GPR. Do you remember where you got that? I've taken that GPR in the chest once (even with a roost deflector on) and it was not a happy experience. Let me know if you remember where you got that.

• Rokatt88

Posted August 17, 2004 - 09:52 AM

I have the GPR 1.0 on my XR650R and CR500R and it is well worth the money. I have other riding budsthat have the 2.0. They are life savers. I think the 2.0 are the Shizzle.

• jws

Posted August 17, 2004 - 12:11 PM

I've been looking for one of those pads to cover my GPR. Do you remember where you got that?

the pad came with the stabilizer - i orderd it from rob barnum :thumbsup: might try calling GPR and see if they will send you one :devil:

jeff :awww:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.