Anybody busted the bead changing a tire?

9 replies to this topic
  • id250f

Posted August 14, 2004 - 03:53 PM

Changing the front tire (dunlop 756) ... should be easy ... I didn't let it sit out in the sun 'cuz i was in a hurry ... getting towards the end by the rim lock ... keep flipping the tire over to get the tire off the bead on the opposite side so I have more tire to work with ... SNAP!! ... the wire beads bust in half. I don't suppose there's a warranty on these is there? :devil: :thumbsup:

• endurodog

Posted August 14, 2004 - 06:27 PM

When I first learned to do tires I did that to a tire. It's shot, no good, throw it out and start again. To avoid this push the bead down into the center area of the tire as you slip it on the rim. You still have to work at it. I have changed tons of tires since breaking that first wire bead and never have had a problem since. Good luck.

• tom_dappert

Posted August 15, 2004 - 05:58 AM

Spray the bead with WD40 and it will slip right off/on :thumbsup:

• RCannon

Posted August 15, 2004 - 08:10 AM

I broke one on a 756 as well. The people at Rockymountain atv said this was from using a tire iron that was too large.

• endurodog

Posted August 15, 2004 - 06:41 PM

broke one on a 756 as well. The people at Rockymountain atv said this was from using a tire iron that was too large.

If the part of the bead that is on the inside of the rim as your trying to get the rest of the bead there is sitting on the shoulder of the rim a big iron will break it, a small won't get it to budge. You need to get the bead that is in the rim area to the center of the rim, off the shoulder area to give you some slack in the bead to have it fit on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • B86_Racer

Posted August 16, 2004 - 02:31 AM

one tip for changing tires, keep the tire from beading up as you put it on, if the tire irons become hard to use all of a sudden, push the bead down on the other side of the tire (on the side your on and the underside of the tire) and try to get the bead down around the whole tire and everything should be easy as pie.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted August 16, 2004 - 05:28 AM

I think we have all done this. Unfortunately once the bead is broke the tire is trash. I use liquid soap around the bead, 2 good tire irons and a rubber mallet. (Put the section where the rim lock is on 1st.)

I have also found that if you lay your rim down on a blanket or piece of foam - on hard surface and have a friend help, you can almost stomp and push the tire on completely using your feet without any tools. I know this sound primative but it works and if you some foam or a thick blanket, you won't hurt your rim.

Lastly, put some baby powder on the tube in case you get wild with the tire irons. Again once you get it close to on, you should be able to stomp in on with your feet or hit it with a rubber mallet.

• MaxAZ

Posted August 16, 2004 - 02:42 PM

If I've got a bead that keeps popping on I use a couple of those quick grip clamps to squeeze it together to keep it off the bead. C clamps would work too. I'm to cheap to buy one of those bead buddies.

Posted August 17, 2004 - 05:46 PM

Whenever you are putting the tire on, put one side on, then the other which is the side i am going to explain(The ah [@#$%&*!] side). What you do is you Clamp the opposite side that you are working on with a C clamp to the table. Make sure you use a board like 2-3 inches wide and at least 4 inches long. Use that to Clamp the tire down with. That will help press the bead down and will mainly help you get the last part of the bead on the tire. Remember Clamp the OTHER side you are working on. This will help for sure. And WD40 or soapy water around the entire bead. Good Luck, and make sure you close your garage so when you do mess up, and swear, your neighbors dont think you come from hell.

• x654

Posted August 18, 2004 - 09:38 AM

the tire is shot, no warrenty on that. after being in the tire business for 9 years, the easiest way and best if you have no tire machine is use Moose tire tools (2) and a water soluble lube. (wd-40 will stay on the wheel and tire and coulc cause the tire to spin in the wheel). lube the bottom bead well and slip onto rim and under bead lock. start top bead (after lubing) about 2 inches from bead lock and work it around as far as you can by hand holding at the starting point and keeping the top bead in the center part of the wheel barrel. then use the tire tool to slip the last few inches onto the wheel on the top side of the bead lock... be careful not to pinch the tube while doing this. it really sux to get it all done and back on the bike and notice it is flat again. :thumbsup:

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.