WR450 valve shims

3 replies to this topic
  • tweek

Posted August 14, 2004 - 02:00 PM

My intake valves were all out of spec. and required different size shims, But the exhaust valves were all in spec. Anybody else have this experience? I had a bad experence with my air filter... did I damage my intake valve seats????

• YFZRooster

Posted August 14, 2004 - 02:53 PM

You could do some damage but it depends in you valves are too tight or too lose. Too tight will make it run horrible and maybe not at all. Valves could hit the piston. Too lose, you are losing power, especially low end.
I have an entire shim kiy for that bike if you are in the market for one. Pretty hard to come by these days I hear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twistngrip

Posted August 14, 2004 - 03:56 PM

How far out are they? Mine required one shim replacement on the intake valves after about 50 hours and none on the exhaust valves. They have remained unchanged for the last 150 hours. I would imagine there is no real problem. You probably just need to make the needed adjustments and you will be good to go for a long time. Best of luck.

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2004 - 12:38 PM

Just did my son's 250f and found pretty much the same thing. 2 intakes under spec while both exhausts were at the low end of the range. In most dual overhead cam engines, it is far more likely that valves will loose clearance due to wear at the valve/valve seat than gain clearance due to wear at the cam/cam follower (tappet)/valve stem. Since the exhaust seats are usually harder than the intakes, I don't see that this wear condition is that unexpected.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.