2000 Yamaha WR400F

9 replies to this topic
  • marcusmoberg

Posted August 12, 2004 - 08:29 PM

How often should I change the oil in my 2000 Yamaha WR400F?

• mousemeat

Posted August 12, 2004 - 11:34 PM

Just pack the engine with grease and ride it forever.

• ddialogue

Posted August 13, 2004 - 04:16 AM

Every 200 miles.

• RodFugler

Posted August 13, 2004 - 05:25 AM

Just pack the engine with grease and ride it forever.

dang it, I shot milk out of my nose on that one!
You guys crack me up!!

• madbajan

Posted August 13, 2004 - 07:08 AM

Re packing the engine with grease, Ive had great luck with molybendabum dry sulpherhide boiled in a saucepan to near flashpoint then poured into a freshley drained idling engine till bubbles out of frame reservoir at top. the blacker n hotter the better. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marcusmoberg

Posted August 13, 2004 - 04:00 PM

Every 200 miles, that's crazy that's about $15.00 every oil change. You only have to change the oil in a automobile every 3000 miles! I know that dirtbikes depend on oil more than automobiles, but I was thinking every 1000 miles! :thumbsup:

• tool

Posted August 13, 2004 - 04:20 PM

i dont know how many miles between, but i would say 15 hours between oil changes is pushing it. i only go 12 hours.
i use yamalube 4, something like $2.30 a quart. you dont need to change the oil filter every single time. i change it every 3 oil changes.

• jbrooks26

Posted August 13, 2004 - 04:21 PM

Ok, an automobile engine holds around 4 to 7 quarts of oil, has a filter 5-10 times the size of the bike filter, and does not spend its time primarily in dusty, wet, muddy, sandy conditions. Also does not use a wet clutch that contaminates the oil on every gear shift and take off. Seems to me like you would want to change your oil as often as you can afford for a little insurance on a $5000 to $8000 play toy. Kind of expensive to have to replace an engine, I would think that $15 after every ride or every other would be cheep insurance.

Now, that being said I have an honest answer to your question. It really depends on what type of riding you are doing. 200 miles is really quite some distance for a bike engine of any kind. If you are racing, oil change and filter clean after every race. Oil change after a good weekend of riding, and especially after riding wet or dusty conditions. Other than that, change it when you feel like it should be changed. Afterall, it is your bike, you can change your oil whenever you feel the need. I have a buddy that has a lawn mower from 1970 and has never changed the oil, only added oil when it was low. That mower runs like a top!! Just my 2c.

Josh

• marcusmoberg

Posted August 13, 2004 - 05:39 PM

thanks for the information! I appreciate it! :thumbsup:

• ADAM_3rd

Posted August 14, 2004 - 02:35 PM

Every 200 miles, that's crazy that's about $15.00 every oil change. You only have to change the oil in a automobile every 3000 miles! I know that dirtbikes depend on oil more than automobiles, but I was thinking every 1000 miles! :thumbsup:

If you already know the answer why are you wasting are time?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.