What do i need to change the oil seal?

4 replies to this topic
  • mikev7

Posted August 11, 2004 - 04:47 PM

What do i need to change the drive shaft oil seal on my 00 YZ426? It's the one thats behind the sproket. Is it just one seal, or is their a dust seal and a oil seal? :thumbsup:

• motocrosschump

Posted August 12, 2004 - 03:17 AM

I have always poked a small hole in it and grabbed it with a exhaust pipe spring puller.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikev7

Posted August 12, 2004 - 02:26 PM

Is it just one whole seal? Cause when i ordered it i just ordered the drive shaft oil seal.

• mikev7

Posted September 02, 2004 - 02:07 AM

I filally got the oil seal and i messed up and pushed it in a little too far and it's stil leaking. Could pishing it slightly too far in be the reason? Theirs play for the seal on the sleve that seperates the o-ring from the oil seal. I had probs getting the seal and have a seal waiting at another bike shop. I used motor oil to lub the o-ring and seal when i put it on. Is this right? I thought the seal would hit the proper support when i tapped it in. Do they leak for a second when their 1st installed? :thumbsup:

• R_Little

Posted September 02, 2004 - 10:24 AM

I just did the same thing. I pushed it in a bit further than the old one. It was a little cocked sideways too and it leaked. I pushed it in till it bottomed and it was square and it didn't leak any more. It's easy to push it in too far when it is lubed up. I think the factory puts it in from the back to butt up against the seal retainer that you removed to change the seal.

Anyway, mine has not leaked since to I guess it is okay. I think the crankcase presure might push it out against the retainer anyway. I'll check when I next change the sprocket.

Square it and ride it and see what happens

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.