Connecting a digital tach into the XR650R wiring

3 replies to this topic
  • InternalCombustion

Posted August 11, 2004 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, I know, "You do not need a tach on the R, just use the rev limiter...". But I like tachs, I like to know what my engine is doing.

Anyway I bought a DataTool Rev Light that is a strip of programable, microprocessor-driven LEDs and am having fits getting it to work properly. I am using the blue/yellow lead off of the bike's pulse generator, and it drives a dwell-tach just fine. But when I try to drive the RevLight I get really irratic response from it. I think the problem may be the battery and ground I am sending to the Rev Light (from the UFO E-Line DS wiring harness).

Anyway the question is this: has anybody installed a tach (digital or analog) on an XR650R? If so, what model tach are you using and what power and signal leads did you use?

Thanks,

• qadsan

Posted August 12, 2004 - 05:39 AM

has anybody installed a tach (digital or analog) on an XR650R? If so, what model tach are you using and what power and signal leads did you use?

I've installed tach/hour meters on all our bikes. The pickup lead simply wraps around the spark plug wire (inductive pickup). The display is small, but I really only use the tach for setting the idle speed. I use the hour meter as a guide for my maintenance intervals. Here's a link to the same type of tach/hour meter I bought, but I only paid $22 or $25 for mine.

http://www.jackssmal.../hour_meter.cfm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tarkus

Posted August 22, 2004 - 05:59 AM

About the erratic tach display, I had an 8000rpm mini-electric tach that was a perfect match cosmetically to Baja-Designs chrome analog dual sport kit speedo. I got it from a "Big Iron" catalog, I believe, at the local Honda shop. It also had a very erratic response which turned out to be a broken off capacitor from its' circuit board. I purchased another of the same type and it works fine (considering the vibes from a big thumper) It has four wires: "Red" to ign. on 12v, "Blue" to lamp on, "Black" to ground, and "Green" to the negative terminal of the coil (I soldered in a 1200ohm resistor on this lead) I hope this helps.

• Tarkus

Posted August 22, 2004 - 08:24 AM

Sorry about the repost but the first one didn't seem to take!
About the erratic tach display, I had an 8000rpm mini-electric tach that was a perfect match cosmetically to Baja-Designs chrome analog dual sport kit speedo. I got it from a "Big Iron" catalog, I believe, at the local Honda shop. It also had a very erratic response which turned out to be a broken off capacitor from its' circuit board. I purchased another of the same type and it works fine (considering the vibes from a big thumper) It has four wires: "Red" to ign. on 12v, "Blue" to lamp on, "Black" to ground, and "Green" to the negative terminal of the coil (I soldered in a 1200ohm resistor on this lead) I hope this helps.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.