87 xr 600

2 replies to this topic
  • pressurefreak

Posted August 11, 2004 - 03:24 PM

Im new to Hondas, Ive worked on yams RT1, TY, YZ, YZF DT1/2 but this is my first "Red" bike. It runs but it needs some tlc. First the brake caliper, perch, and master are gone. Any hints as to what years will fit. I need the whole frontbrake system so any help would be great. I am looking at rebuilding it for a winter project, any hints suggestions, just good ole advice on particulars with this duel carb monster. I know the carbs need to be cleaned and synched. Planning on rebuiling the upper end as well. Any and all are appreciated thanks. B

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trailriderjoe

Posted August 11, 2004 - 03:29 PM

Hey bro, looks like you got that project bike after all!
Gotta be the rebel in the family don't ya!

I'm still gonna get ya with old blue!

I'm thinking the front brake system as a whole should interchange with alot of years. It just comes down to the bolt spacing on the fork lower and the piston location?

• roosterk0031

Posted August 12, 2004 - 07:15 AM

I would believe all xr600 or xr650l calipers ect.. would fit, except that, I swapped some 02 xr650l forks onto my 87 xr600 and the caliper didn't want to center on the rotor, I had to shim the caliper towards the center of the bike with 2 washers between fork mount and caliper. So I don't know what changed or when but something is different. My concern would be a new caliper might be too wide and pushed to far towards the centerline of bike and only solution would be machining the caliper or mount. Not much help but that's all I know. David

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.