Goodbye Dunlop 606, Hello Monster er Tera Flex

12 replies to this topic
  • InChanWeTrust

Posted August 11, 2004 - 12:37 PM

Replaced my 606 with the monster everyone is talking about. This thing is huge.
Posted Image
Details: 140/80 18 TERA FLEX TIRE
Chaparral Motorsports $74.99
Shipping is $6

Punctured my tube when swapping, but the slime I was using to balance the tire quickly stopped air loss. Yes, I put a new tube in. Did I mention this thing was huge. Had to deflate just to get past swing arm and brake. Now that I think about it pulling/moving the brake unit out of its groove might allow one to install without deflating.
I only took a short 3-5 mile ride on the street. It was a bit loose, but tire was new, it has knobs the size of ice cubes, and prolly had some oil on it from the garage floor. Rode across the lawn--- will not do that again, had to replace a 3in deep rip and that was barely touching the throttle. Check it out: Rear view.
Posted Image

• BWB63

Posted August 11, 2004 - 01:09 PM

The mold release they use on this tire is slippery and take some good spinning in deap dirt to remove it. some say 100 mile well at lest a few hours. You can throw mud and sand across the street! A hold new way of doing yard work :thumbsup:

• DirtyChris

Posted August 11, 2004 - 01:19 PM

Holy Crap!!! Look at that thing!
Good for soft terrain I take it? like sand?
still kinda pricy for a tire.

• BRP27

Posted August 11, 2004 - 02:01 PM

It swings clear in the swing arm? I see that you removed the mud flap that rubs with the stock tire.

I got to get me one of these

• yater

Posted August 11, 2004 - 02:24 PM

I feel sorry for your riding buddies :thumbsup:

• Mikie1

Posted August 11, 2004 - 09:09 PM

Hey, you guys who've used these...

How does the bike handle with one of these on it? Will it still turn or does it just want to stand up or push the front end when you roll the throttle on in a power-slide? How 'bout brake turns? How does the extra weight affect it? I'm not knocking this tire (I've never tried one). If it's as durable as they say, and if it doesn't jack up the bike's handling, I WANT ONE!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted August 12, 2004 - 05:28 AM

Hey, you guys who've used these...

How does the bike handle with one of these on it? Will it still turn or does it just want to stand up or push the front end when you roll the throttle on in a power-slide? How 'bout brake turns? How does the extra weight affect it? I'm not knocking this tire (I've never tried one). If it's as durable as they say, and if it doesn't jack up the bike's handling, I WANT ONE!

I've never owned one and when I first saw a picture of one on this list about a year ago I wanted one. Then I read about some of the owners having problems and it was directly related to handling characteristics. One fellow who bought one actually sold it after a short time of use.

Sorry I don't remember what it was they were talking about but you might run a search and see if you can find the thread. :thumbsup:

• BrandonW

Posted August 12, 2004 - 07:33 AM

I have exclusively ran Tera Flex's on my bike for the past 2 years.

I find it to be the most consistent tire I have ever used. When I brake into a corner, I really have to ream on the brake to get it to lock up. If it does, it tracks, and does not want to "swap ends" like I find with the D606.

Coming out of a corner, it again is very consistent. That tire DRAMATICALLY cuts down on wheel-spin, so you can whack on the gas, and it will really drive you forwards.

One of the biggest things you get with this tire is the ability to lessen your braking distance into a corner. When you first start riding the tire, you apply the brakes where you normally would, and you slow down WAY BEFORE you get to the corner.

It works THAT good!

:thumbsup:

The tire is VERY durable off-road. It is the tire of choice for most serious hill-climbers!

It is heavier than most (it is steel belted) but will never pinch-flat. You can run it an very low pressures (7-10 is NOT out of the question) but it will wear down on the pavement.

That tire is tops!

:devil:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 12, 2004 - 04:32 PM

BTW, are any of you guys running the monster because its DOT-legal? (this tire being DOT just seems soooo wrong!) I have this tire on my 650L and love it- sand hillclimbs are like flyyyyying!!!
With this tire I noticed what some call "tempering"- it worked much better on the street after some hard riding- the grip much improved, and it exhibited much less rolling.

-Dave

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 12, 2004 - 04:36 PM

Kinda pricey, but...It lasts well, though.
More than 1000 miles on mine, and I'm just turning the paired center knobs into one big knob.

In the sand and mud, its worth every dime of that $80.
Buy 2 from M&H/intercotire and you get free shipping.

-Dave

• DirtyChris

Posted August 12, 2004 - 05:40 PM

I just bought a Dunlop D752 120/100-18 I'll let you guys know how it does, going trail riding Sunday in Pine Valley.

• BRP27

Posted August 13, 2004 - 06:22 AM

What tube size are you running on this 140/80-18 Terra Flex. I could not find anything bigger than a 120/100-18 at Chaparral Motor sports. Will the 120 work? :thumbsup: it is a Ultra heavy duty

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 13, 2004 - 06:29 AM

I've been using an MSR ultra-heavy-duty, and it was either a 4.00 or a 120

Dave

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.