broken oil filter bolt!!!!!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • xr650Lroostnya

Posted August 10, 2004 - 01:28 PM

I just snapped my first bolt and im not sure how to get it out. Its one of the three little bolts that hold the cover over the oil filter. Do I have to take that whole side of the case of and drill it out from the other side or is there another easier way?? The stupid cheap bolts :thumbsup: that honda use seem to snap real easy cause i hardy put any force on it all. Please help!!!

• DirtyChris

Posted August 10, 2004 - 02:27 PM

If there is any of the stud sticking out, remove the rest of the cover and use a Vice Grip to turn it.

If its broken inside the case (past the cover) use a small drill bit and an EZ out, available at any hardware store.

• tntmo

Posted August 10, 2004 - 02:35 PM

I don't know....from all the 650L bashing going on around here, maybe you should remove the bolt, put the bike into the dumpster and get a 650R? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650Lroostnya

Posted August 10, 2004 - 03:05 PM

Nah theres no way i'd do that I love my bike. My dad had a good idea for a temporary fix to use gasket paper i guess thats what u call it, put the cover on the paper and trace it and cut it out and then put it on and it worked no leaking for now. I have to be able to use it until I can get it to the dealer to get it fixed cause it's my only transportation to work right now. Actually I'm gonna call the dealer and see what they would do to get it out if it sounds like i could do it without taking the side of the case off i will try it. Thanx for the suggestions guys if anyone has anymore it would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah and what is ez out exactly???

• DirtyChris

Posted August 10, 2004 - 05:10 PM

Oh yeah and what is ez out exactly???

Its basicly a screw with backwards threads... As you screw this thing into the broken bolt (that you've already drilled a hole in) it tightens up against the bolt and unscrewes it... because its threads are backwards, going in to the EZout is going out for the screw.
Read "The Breaks" half way down this page
http://www.advanceau...s20021201tr.htm

This is what an EZ out looks like.
[image]http://us.st7.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/toolsplus_1805_126235321[/image]

Do it yourself, save some money. Worst case, it goes into the dealership anyhow.

• Buckarmadillo

Posted August 11, 2004 - 07:12 PM

If you have a reversable drill, go get a small left hand drill bit. Put a center punch dent in the bolt and start the drill in REVERSE (which is correct for a Left Hand Twist bit). As you drill it will unscrew the bolt since it is turning to the left. If the bolt does not come out, then you already have the hole for an "easy out". You can also use a left hand tap and tap the hole in the bolt for a left hand smaller bolt and that may bring it out as the tap or bolt twist the stuck one out. As a Final Fix.......install studs instead of using the stock bolts. Put them into the case with Locktite and leave enough sticking out for some nice small acorn nuts to hold the cover down. That way it is easier on the aluminum case threads anyway.

• DirtyChris

Posted August 12, 2004 - 03:48 AM

Put them into the case with Locktite and leave enough sticking out for some nice small acorn nuts to hold the cover down. That way it is easier on the aluminum case threads anyway

I would highly recomend against acorn nuts, they can trap water inside and rust onto the stud. Installing the studs is a good idea if you use an open nut on them though.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.