CR routed brake line

25 replies to this topic
  • Jackazz

Posted August 12, 2004 - 11:12 AM

Please pardon my ignorance here, but what is the difference between the CR routing & the Yamaha routing on the 04 YZ/WR? Is it just the goofy part that wraps around the bottom of the fork leg? Is it really worth doing?

I posted this question in it's own thread on the WR forum & got zilch, then I saw this thread.

• yzf_rider400

Posted August 12, 2004 - 11:26 AM

The old yamaha way of routing the brake line, the line would go under the fork and wrap back up to the caliper. The new way I think for '05 is to go the CR route and wrap around the fork near the top of the inner tube and straight down to the caliper without going around the bottom of the fork, which makes for a shorter line. I believe Yamaha is actually paying Honda (stupidest patent ever) for the right to use the CR style routing.

It's probably not necessary to do, but if you want to replace your line with a stainless one, then you might as well decide if you want to use a shorter CR style line or not.

• klokard

Posted August 12, 2004 - 02:00 PM

Since that cool little mounting bracket doesn't list the 426 in the heading I have never seen it before while searching ebay for treasures. I like it and ordered one. I will post feedback here once I receive it and put it on my steed. I never did like the chincy little bracket that comes with the Galfer brake line.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Siers55

Posted August 14, 2004 - 03:50 AM

I dont' think the CR routing made a big differnce BUT, having the Stainless Steel line made a big improvement in the feel of the brake. I want a very tight front brake. The stock brake line felt sluggish. The SS feels tight. I recommend it if you are very particular about stuff like this. If not don't spend the money.

• slappie

Posted September 02, 2004 - 10:21 AM

If anyone needs the bolt on clamps for the stock 04 and earlier Yamaha fork guards, I've got 2 brand new ones for sale.

One is the Carbon Lightspeed one and the other is the FTS one.

Both are brand new in the original packaging. I ordered the FTS one first and then liked the look of the Lightspeed one that my dealer had, so I bought it.

Then I thought, oh heck, I'll just go ahead and and buy the Lightspeed 05 style fork guards with the mount already built in.

Long story to tell you why I have these two brand new clamps :thumbsup:

Let me know if you want them. $10 plus shipping for either.

• Fastest1

Posted September 02, 2004 - 11:16 AM

The old yamaha way of routing the brake line, the line would go under the fork and wrap back up to the caliper. The new way I think for '05 is to go the CR route and wrap around the fork near the top of the inner tube and straight down to the caliper without going around the bottom of the fork, which makes for a shorter line. I believe Yamaha is actually paying Honda (stupidest patent ever) for the right to use the CR style routing.

It's probably not necessary to do, but if you want to replace your line with a stainless one, then you might as well decide if you want to use a shorter CR style line or not.

I am sure that there are more stupid patents, but I think this one expired and therefore the rest can now use the technology :devil:. I believe the patents in this case allow for a fixed time advantage or royalties. Yamaha or the others could have always given you Cr routing, they could have done it stateside but didnt want the liability. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.