CR routed brake line

25 replies to this topic
  • yzf_rider400

Posted August 10, 2004 - 10:49 AM

I've been thinking I should replace my stock line with a stainless, and might as well go CR style. My question is, can I just buy any honda CR brake line or do I need to buy a yamaha specific brake line manufactured to CR style length?

• gonzo

Posted August 10, 2004 - 11:22 AM

Buy the Litespeed kit for 100 bucks. It comes with the new wrap around 05 protectors as well. You'll need those for the line so that it doesnt rub your lower tube.

• yzf_rider400

Posted August 10, 2004 - 11:32 AM

the TT store has them priced at ~$140. Do you know where to get a set cheaper?

Could I go with a regular honda line though and jerry rig it so that it wouldn't rub the fork tube?

• JohnnyOfast

Posted August 10, 2004 - 03:13 PM

I got a Galfer SS line from my dealer for about $50, took a grinder to my fork guard to mold a hole to fit the stock lower clip on and relocated the lower clip to the plastic guard. The way it is jammed in the hole its not going anywhere. The plastic guard itself would break before it would move. Works good, cheap. If I had the extra bucks I'd go with the other kit though, hassle free. :thumbsup:

• JohnnyOfast

Posted August 10, 2004 - 03:16 PM

Oh sorry, to answer your question, I do not believe a Honda line has the same end fittings as the YZ. I think the top one is straight out of the master. (Dam Honda's) :thumbsup:

• yzf_rider400

Posted August 10, 2004 - 03:53 PM

thanks, that's sort of what I was wondering about. I think I'll wait until I've got the extra $150 to spend. :thumbsup:

• oldblue

Posted August 10, 2004 - 04:38 PM

Buy yourself a shorter stainless line and one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=2486855889 You can get the whole thing done for under $75!

• gonzo

Posted August 10, 2004 - 05:33 PM

the TT store has them priced at ~$140. Do you know where to get a set cheaper?

Could I go with a regular honda line though and jerry rig it so that it wouldn't rub the fork tube?

Go here for 100 bucks...

http://www.lightspee...=17&prevstart=0

• yzf_rider400

Posted August 10, 2004 - 06:03 PM

• id250f

Posted August 10, 2004 - 08:08 PM

DrD (dubachracing.com) sells them .... I've got one. Comes with line and mounting kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted August 11, 2004 - 01:03 AM

Pass that lower price info the the TT store....don't they have a low price guarantee??? Would be better to support TT if they could match the price.

• John407

Posted August 11, 2004 - 03:59 AM

I'm running a stock CRF 450 front brake hose on my YZ450 right now. It fits fine.

• gonzo

Posted August 11, 2004 - 04:09 AM

The difference might be that the TT store is selling the carbon fiber ones and the ones I put out are white. I dont see TT being 40 bucks more for the same thing.

• yzf_rider400

Posted August 11, 2004 - 08:16 AM

yeah, I think the difference is in the carbon fiber; which is pretty slick but I'll probably end up going the cheapest route possible. I don't want to sink too much money into this old beast.

• JohnnyOfast

Posted August 11, 2004 - 10:58 AM

Sorry, I stand corrected, the earlier versions had a different end. :thumbsup: Learn something every day. :devil:

• Hank

Posted August 11, 2004 - 11:01 AM

Question to all of the above, did it make a difference when you got one...? or is a regular steel braided cable just as good so no conversion is needed... I agree the concept of the cr routing is much better, just how much...?

• RCannon

Posted August 11, 2004 - 01:08 PM

I ended up having to replace my stock line. I first used a fastline replica of the stock YZ line. I believe it was just as good as the model I bought later that was CR routed.

I think the biggest difference in the conversion is the new line forces you to use new, fresh brake fluid. I believe the brake also gets bled better than it does when the bike leaves the factory.

There could be a slight difference, but not enough to pay for.

• craddock

Posted August 11, 2004 - 03:06 PM

There could be a slight difference, but not enough to pay for.

??? Pay for what? The CR routed cable does not cost any more. $55 to $70 depending on which brand and where you buy. My stock brake sucked from the factory. I bought a cable for $55 but ended up reusing the one I had on last years bike.

J

• JohnnyOfast

Posted August 12, 2004 - 08:31 AM

I found it to be a noticable improvement. Not that the stock brakes are that bad, but I definately didn't need as much finger preasure on the brake lever. No really,,,, I say it made for a much better brake. To me it was well worth $50 and my time. :thumbsup:

• yzf_rider400

Posted August 12, 2004 - 09:32 AM

I think the main difference experienced in the brake feel is due to the stainless braided steel of the aftermarket lines and not the length so much. The stainless steel leaves less room for expansion so more fluid is forced into the brake.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.