Lightening the Pig

4 replies to this topic
  • flyinW

Posted August 10, 2004 - 05:42 AM

Well now... since I've had this XR600... I've been at a loss as to how to get some substantial weight offa this beast. Seems to me that the last bike, XR500, was quite a bit lighter. Any ways to put Ms. Piggy on a diet?

TIA

• TimBrp

Posted August 10, 2004 - 06:30 AM

Negative. Unless you slap that motor inside a 125 frame it's an exercise in futility. The bike was made to be heavy, powerful, and stable at speed. It's a waste of cash.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted August 10, 2004 - 06:28 PM

Negative. Unless you slap that motor inside a 125 frame it's an exercise in futility. The bike was made to be heavy, powerful, and stable at speed. It's a waste of cash.

I agree. It's a waste of time and money. You might shave off a few pounds but you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

• rg_series

Posted August 10, 2004 - 08:23 PM

I came to the conlusion last november that the only way to shave weight off my 600 was to reduce the mass on top of the seat. When october (start of dunes season) comes around I will see how much of a difference 25 pounds really makes. Can't beat the price either.

• Thumprding

Posted August 11, 2004 - 02:44 AM

Sure you can but how much money do you want to spend?

First of all the frame is not that heavy. When I restored my 95 and had the frame powder coated I was surprised how light it is. Shoot I have bowling balls that felt heavier than the frame.

The boat anchor of the bike is the engine. The next is the rear wheel assembly and then the forks.

Like I said you can decrease the weight but it will take removing certain engine parts (counterblancers are normall the first to go) changing materials on engine parts, changing the froks to modern lighter forks. Changing the wheel assemblies, change every bolt on the bike to Titanium and so forth. I feel that one with a big bank account could decrease about 30-40 lbs from the bike but those 30-40 lbs would come off at a very high price.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.