Aargh!! Countershaft seal

2 replies to this topic
  • LarryWR400

Posted August 08, 2004 - 07:12 PM

Just had my fork seals replaced went to test it out this afternoon and noticed oil on my chain and a slight drip coming from around the front sprocket (Countershaft? I'm no mechanic) anyway, was planning to head up to the mountains for a few days of riding but now I may have to wait for tuesday for the Yamaha dealership to open (I hate that closed Sun/mon crap :thumbsup: Anyway would it would be a bad Idea to go on my trip anyway and just keep an eye on my oil level?? (Which I checked and looks good) just a slow drip but I'd hate to take a chance. I can wait till tuesday for the shops to open but what are the odds of them geting my bike in, is this a fairly easy replacement (the seal)that I could do myself?? thanks in advance.

Larry

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BEAN329

Posted August 08, 2004 - 07:47 PM

been there done that !!!!. mine got damaged by vines or something anyway I would get it fixed ASAP. You are asking for major problems if this seal goes bad and you lose a bit of oil. First of all these bikes do no carry a lot of oil to start with. I replaced my'n myself, be very careful removing the old seal. If you use the sheet metal screw technic do not screw it in to deep because there is a second seal on a bearing just a few millimeters under the outer seal. The other thing is that the counter shaft spacer is hard to remove because there is not much of a spacer to grab onto. Anyway if you are not sure how to do this then do not attempt it have a expereanced person do it for you it should not take that long.

• Rick

Posted August 09, 2004 - 05:53 PM

I've repaired a leaking countershaft seal by simply cleaning the lip of the seal with a cotton swab. Sometimes just a piece of sand or dirt sneaks in there. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.