18" rear wheel on yz450 for MX?

5 replies to this topic
  • steg211

Posted August 08, 2004 - 05:48 PM

Anybody tried a 18" rear tire on a mx track? My 1mo. old Iron man sprocket tore every mounting hole off my hub Saturday, and now I need a new hub, sprocket, spokes, and chain guide :thumbsup:. I have a whole 18" wheel from an '01 wr426 I thought about trying in the mean time they are the same hub right? I know it will lower my overall gearing but what about handling and all.
Thanks

• Butta

Posted August 09, 2004 - 01:54 AM

I don't think it will lower your overall gearing because the 19" tires are much more lower profile than the 18's. I think the actual outside diameter of the 18" vs 19" are pretty much the same. The difference you'll feel is in the corners. I think the lower profile 19" will tend to stick a little better rather than sliding on the sidewall. Anyone have any experience in this?

• zz3gmc

Posted August 09, 2004 - 11:37 AM

I run a 18" wheel on my YZ 250 2s and my YZF and I dont notice any difference other than a slightly cushier ride in the rocks. I only ride enduros, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf450jack

Posted August 09, 2004 - 01:11 PM

You can run a lower air psi cuz of the higher profile a lot less dings in the rim and it is smoother ride :thumbsup:

• DethWshBkr

Posted August 09, 2004 - 01:23 PM

Anybody tried a 18" rear tire on a mx track? My 1mo. old Iron man sprocket tore every mounting hole off my hub Saturday, and now I need a new hub, sprocket, spokes, and chain guide :thumbsup:. I have a whole 18" wheel from an '01 wr426 I thought about trying in the mean time they are the same hub right? I know it will lower my overall gearing but what about handling and all.
Thanks

As far as gearing, unless the gear on the wheel you are "borrowing" is lower, the gearing will be the same with an 18 as a 19.

Handling - the 18", if you use the same pressure as a 19", it will be lazy and feel flat. Run 1-2 psi more in the 18" and you won't notice much of a difference in handling, just a better bike on choppy stuff.

I swapped to an 18" on my 520 when I blew the hub up.

• steg211

Posted August 09, 2004 - 06:09 PM

Cool, thanks for the help. I'll just leave the 18" on a while and see how it does. Way easier than swapping hubs.
When I order my new Iron Man I'm gonna order new sprocket bolts and some loctite. The bolts had come loose and I tightened them, then about 8 laps later the hub failed. What's strange to me is except for one, all the bolts are still tight on the sprocket with the pieces of the hub flange still on 'em. Must have done the damage when they were loose. Luckily I wasn't on a jump face or really haulin. Lesson learned.
Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.