Tire Pressure

6 replies to this topic
  • flack123

Posted August 08, 2004 - 03:42 PM

Hi, first post here. Anyways, i have a 2001 XR650r with stock tires. I am looking for the best tire pressure for sand. Most of the trails that i ride are sand.

Thanks for the help

• qadsan

Posted August 08, 2004 - 03:52 PM

I'm only guessing, but try 12 PSI and work down from there a pound at a time. More importantly, you may want to increase your fork compression (clicker adjustment) to minimize the forks from diving when you let off the throttle, but only if you'll be riding mostly sand. The XR605R can be a lot of fun in the sand if your speed is kept up, but it can also be a real pig in super slow twisty deep sandy trails.

• BWB63

Posted August 08, 2004 - 05:33 PM

It also depends on the tire you choose. I run the Tera Flex 6~8psi and the IRC MB5 at 8~12psi some tires have softer side walls the others. but, I like lower tire pressure, then most :thumbsup: I haven't gott'n a pinch flat yet using the ultra heavy duty tubes :devil: If your running paddles I run them way up @ 20~30psi

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flack123

Posted August 09, 2004 - 02:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. I run stock tires. The bike seems to perform pretty good in the sand, i was just making sure that i had the right pressure.

• flack123

Posted August 09, 2004 - 02:48 AM

How do you change the fork compression?? Is there some instruction on how to do it?? I am kinda new to this.

Thanks

• qadsan

Posted August 09, 2004 - 05:37 AM

How do you change the fork compression??

The compression clicker adjustment is on the bottom of the forks. Turn clockwise with a flat blade screwdriver for an increase in compression (to make the fork action stiffer) and CCW to decrease it. The rebound clicker adjuster is on top of your forks. Ride the bike as is first. Then try turning the compression clickers in a few clicks at a times on both forks to see if that makes a positive difference.

• BWB63

Posted August 09, 2004 - 08:47 AM

Just to add to that so you don't have to ask....there is a rubber plug that hides the compression adjuster. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.