Wiseco vs. OEM piston

3 replies to this topic
  • minioutlaw

Posted August 08, 2004 - 02:02 PM

My pony is starting to belch smoke, so I've decided to rebuild the top end. I priced both OEM and Wiseco pistons, and, strangely, OEM are much cheaper. Are Wiseco pistons $30 better than stock? What is the advantage of the Wiseco? Thanks,

• mikekay

Posted August 09, 2004 - 07:05 AM

You might just need some fresh rings...

There are several pistons available for the BRP. I suppose the Ross is the 'best' -- but really it depends on what you want from a piston. The OEM unit is excellent. So is the Weisco. If you want to go into the specifics about what piston would be best for you needs, try calling Rob at Barnumspro.com -- he will give you the run down on skirt sizes, composition, tolerances, finishes, casting, cost, etc. for the different pistons...
BUT if you are a trail rider looking for a cheaper reliable fix to some blow by...consider new rings and a vavle job while you are in there....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • minioutlaw

Posted August 09, 2004 - 08:58 AM

You nailed it, I am that trail rider looking for a cheap reliable fix. I guess I'm used to rebuilding small bore bikes, where it's cheap to just replace the whole piston and even cylinder, so I just assumed that I would need to replace my piston. I'm not so poor I couldn't afford to buy an $80 piston and a little machine work; is it worth the expense to replace the piston while I'm in there? How long do pistons last in big singles? Thanks for the input,

• duke1110

Posted August 09, 2004 - 04:21 PM

I would replace the piston since you will already have the bike apart. like you said you are not to poor to spend 80 bucks and get a little machine work. just think of the piece of mind it will give you. you will never find yourself wondering what if. just my two cents
Mark

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.