12 replies to this topic
  • klokard

Posted August 08, 2004 - 04:00 AM

I am looking to replace my stock hot start actuator with a bar mounted aftermarket one. I have heard the Dr. D one has a tendency to get stuck in the carb and not work. I haven't heard much about the TeryCable one. Are there others? I welcome all opinions positive and negative. Thanks.

• Satch0922

Posted August 08, 2004 - 03:26 PM

the Dr. D is fine but you have to do a little maintanence to it. I also ran a bead of silicone around where the cable goes into the plunger assy to keep water out. Other wise keep the cable lubed and take the plunger out and clean it once in awhile. Last time I had mine out I put a very thin layer of lithium grease on the plunger. I have not had mine stick once.

Posted August 10, 2004 - 09:54 AM

I have used the Terry Cable , the Motion Pro and the Dr D hotstart buttons and levers. The best one is the Dr. D but as mentioned you must perform preventive maintenance on the cable and the plunger just as you do the throttle cables and clutch cable. I spray a little "Cable Life" lube down the line about every other ride and unscrew the plunger housing, clean the plunger and hit it with a bit of WD-40 as well.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• socalduner

Posted August 10, 2004 - 12:29 PM

I have the Terry Cable,it works great and I never have to do anything to it. :thumbsup:

• tc66nova

Posted August 10, 2004 - 12:43 PM

I have and love the Dr D. I do lube it every few months but that is it.

• gonzo

Posted August 10, 2004 - 05:35 PM

Before you spend the money how often do you actually have to use it? I never have to use mine unless I run U4.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2004 - 06:31 PM

I use the Dr. D on our YZ250F. I have had sticking issues, but none since I adopted the practice of running the engine after washing the bike. As soon as it will run without the choke, we raise the engine speed to around 3-5k and hold the hot start open for 10-20 seconds to clear the passages of any water. Hasn't stuck since we started this.

Posted August 11, 2004 - 02:31 AM

You must not be crashing enough to never have to use it.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 11, 2004 - 02:53 AM

U4 and I use mine often. DRD has the sweetest set up

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 11, 2004 - 03:00 AM

:devil: :awww:

• gonzo

Posted August 11, 2004 - 04:11 AM

Bonzai :devil:

I crash plenty just ask my subframe :awww:

But honestly I never have to use it on either the 250 or the 450. I dont think I am rich on my pilot. I run a 42 on both bikes. :thumbsup:

• XXX_Thumper

Posted August 14, 2004 - 10:33 AM

I took my hot start off completely. The plunger has been stuck in carb since I bought the bike in July '03. So, being lazy I just took off the cable and lever. I've had the bike for over a year and it seem to start just fine not using it. Once in a while if I fall, it is a pain in the ass to start. But that doesn't happen all that much.

• Jeffro426

Posted August 14, 2004 - 10:49 AM

Dr D...every other oil change or so, pull the plunger out and give it a spritz of WD-40 and youll have zero problems. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.