I made a stupid mistake..hope no one else does...

20 replies to this topic

Posted June 11, 2001 - 05:56 PM

I want to take a second to discuss protective gear and some important pieces that I forgot. Knee and elbow pads...they are cheap and really worth your while, I'll explain. I've been riding on close to 1 year now and bought most of the normal gear, helmet, chest protector, goggles, pants, shirt, ect. But I never thought knee and elbow pads were something I really needed. This Sat. a friend and I were riding for about 20 mins near my house, not hard just cruising. I came off of a little 3ft jump like I did 6 other times that day. When I landed the rear tire washed out from under me and my bike began to fall to the right. My right foot slipped off of the foot peg and as I fell with my bike my knee hit my foot peg. I got up and felt a little pain but nothing bad, until I looked at my torn pants leg. I could see the top of my knee cap! My friend started my bike and when I got home(short trip)I went to our local hospital and got 6 stitches. At least 2 weeks off the doc said, maybe more due to the swollen and brusied knee cap. I called my local mx dealer to get a price on some knee pads....$15, thats right $15. Instead I get to sit out on perfect riding weather and look at my bike. I know alot of new riders look here for advice and heres mine...DON'T OVERLOOK THE SMALL STUFF!!!! Spend a little extra money for knee and elbow pads, or whatever for the insurance they bring, or sit out like me and spend 400% more on medical bills.

------------------
2001 YR 426, YZ# Plate, YZ Fender, YZ pipe, YZ Tank, SDG YZ Seat, 13/50 Gearing, Pro-Taper Bars, TAG Triple Clamp, Moose Handguards, Maier Frameguards, Throttle Stop Trimmed, Air Box Lid Removed

• overthebars_again

Posted June 11, 2001 - 06:17 PM

You came out pretty luck dude. My son was sitting on my bike and slipped as he was getting off. It took 50 stitches to button him back up. Those pegs are wicked man....

otb_a

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 11, 2001 - 06:45 PM

Check out the picture on the next message

[This message has been edited by Rich in Orlando (edited 06-11-2001).]

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 11, 2001 - 06:49 PM

Posted Image

I hit that tree at about 25 mph. That hole would have been my kneecap otherwise. All I got was a bruise. Real cheap insurance.

[This message has been edited by Rich in Orlando (edited 06-11-2001).]

• James_Dean

Posted June 11, 2001 - 08:56 PM

Stupid mistake #125:

Last year at this time I was starting my brother-in-laws' KX250 with only running shoes and sweat pants on. My foot slipped off the kickstart and my shin ran down the edge of the lever. This cut the shin to the bone and layed the skin wide open like a butcher's knife. The ER needed 3 passes with sutures and 34 staples to bring it back together.

Moral of the story: Put your boots on before you kick your bike over.

A stupid mistake not to.

[This message has been edited by James Dean (edited 06-11-2001).]

• cueball

Posted June 12, 2001 - 05:11 AM

I see lots of us have learned the hard way!

The older & wiser I get, the more protective gear I wear....which prompts my question. I've tried using football & hockey versions of elbow pads but am not satisfied.

I like the look of the Thor Elbowsavers with the piece that goes down the forearm. Has anybody got anything to say about these, or any other brand of elbow pads?? It's time I got some good ones....

Cueball

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 12, 2001 - 05:19 AM

I wear elbow pads (after learning the hard way) and have always worn kneepads. I endo-ed two weeks ago and banged up the my thighs just above my kneecaps. I posted on the YZ side to see if anyone knew about kneepads that go up onto the lower thigh and everyone is telling me to forget the kneepads and go with Asterisk, CTI, or EVS kneebraces. I have decided they are right (I'm 44 and don't have knee problems - just want to keep it that way). I'm in the process of ordering a pair of the Asterisk kneebraces (www.asterisk.com). I understand McGrath and Carmichael and a host of other pros wear Asterisk braces.

• TheBOS

Posted June 12, 2001 - 05:44 AM

I washing my bike this weekend, went to start it up after I washed like I always do. I wasn't going to ride it, so I was just wearing Tevas, my foot slipped of the kickstart as I was kicking it, and the kickstarter cut my foot all the way to the muscle- took 13 stiches to close it. Won't do that again.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 12, 2001 - 05:59 AM

I'd guess that I've spent a total of 3 hours talking with Brad at Asterisk either on the phone or in Person and I remeber him saying that McGrath and Charmicheal switched from CTI2s to the Asterisk brace. I love my brace and can't believe I waited so long to get one now that I've had 1 knee surgery and need another one. I seriously feel that these are as important as a helmet. Maybe not life saving but definately quality of life saving. Before I wore them I didn't really think that they could do that much. If you ever have a chance to strap a pair on that fit properly you'll see what I mean. By the way, I rode with McGrath on the track this weekend, I used to think I was fast!!!

------------------
Khris
When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?
If it's dirty, I do it and think it!!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 12, 2001 - 06:13 AM

James, I have done that soooo many times I can't even begin to tell you, their is no pain like bone jarring shin pain.. Ouch!!!! You think I would have learned my lesson but no, all it takes is a couple of beers and a buddy wanting to see how easy the bike really is to start...

Dan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 12, 2001 - 07:59 AM

Originally posted by cueball:
I see lots of us have learned the hard way!

The older & wiser I get, the more protective gear I wear....which prompts my question. I've tried using football & hockey versions of elbow pads but am not satisfied.

I like the look of the Thor Elbowsavers with the piece that goes down the forearm. Has anybody got anything to say about these, or any other brand of elbow pads?? It's time I got some good ones....

Cueball

Cueball,

I have the Fox Extreme elbow guards. THese are cheap and durable. Riding in the tight woods they a huge help. Can't count how many times I have caught a tree with the elbow or forearm and then landed on my side, I have found that I land on my elbow much more than my hands. these guards have a lycra sheeth that slides on to you arm. My compaint was the first couple of rides they were tight, but now I cannot feel them. I have big forearms and not so big bicepts, kinda like popeye :)

hope this helps,

mike

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 12, 2001 - 08:25 AM

I checked out the * braces. $500 is a bit steep but it looks like you get 2 of em, that as it turns out is not a bad price cause I saw other braces for as much as $400 just for one on Dennis Kirk. I dont know, I think maybe a pair of the plastic $ 25 cups may be the hot deal here, I have fallen and bounced off my knees before but never any bad knee bang ups, I can here the voices of experience clearly here, but $500 is kinda steep. They look like a pain in the but to put on, how cumbersome are they to where? Do they go under or over your pants? Anyone getting a better deal than $550 like the web site says? Maybe a Thumper talk group discount in the works?

• cueball

Posted June 12, 2001 - 08:40 AM

Mike, thanks for the info on the Fox Extreme elbow pads. Appreciate the feedback, I'll check them out.

JasonJ, great questions. I visited the Asterisk site too, and wanted to know exactly the same things....I think Thumpertalkers should get a half price deal!!

• hodaphile

Posted June 12, 2001 - 09:40 PM

Fox extreme are great. Small enough to wear under jersey so that don't catch on bushes. If you are thin, can even wear the kids sizes for even less bulk. I took a 5' drop off onto my elbow on a large rock. Could even hear my shoulder crunch as I landed, without them would have toasted the elbow I am sure.

Seems like every ride proves the value of the protective gear. Sunday I tool a piece of a joshua tree like a lance into the ribs, knocked me back a foot on the bike but chest protector deflected it great. Couldn't have moved around it either as the trail was only about a foot wide!

Another thing you might consider are some bike shorts under the riding pants. The kind with the chamois inside really reduce monkey butt on those 100+ dual sports. Can get them at most sporting goods stores that carry bicycle gear. Watch for sales, around $10-15 and don't have to really care what they look like.

------------------
Rich aka "hodaphile"
'96 KTM 300 EXC (D/S)
'87 Suzuki LT250R Glamis pimp machine- Chrome!
Too many Hodakas to count
http://communities.m...hsmidlifecrisis

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 12, 2001 - 09:40 PM

The Asterisk braces have more coverage then typical knee cups plus they support your knee as well as the CTI2. As for wearing them. You wear them under your pants, they dont stick out anymore then normal knee cups. After the initial setup and fitting adjustments you just put them on and they attach by 4 clips, then just pull on the 2 draw strings to snug them up. After about 5-10 minutes I forget I'm even wearing them. I typically wear them all day at the track without taking them off even when relaxing. When at the desert I put them on in the morning and don't take them off till I take off my boots. I actually ride in shorts now that I have the braces. SMP makes riding pants that unzip into shorts. The brace extends well up into the shorts and all the way down into my boots so I have full coverage. By the way, I wear Fox boots and the adjustment clips around the calf have more then enough adjustment to still close with the brace in the boot. I think the price is $549 for a pair. If you tell them you're a member of DRN they'll ship them free. Considering the CTI2 is $800 apiece without any accesories like the kneecup that's a steal. I've heard of a pair of CTI2s costing over $2000. The CTI2 is the only other common brace on the market that provides even close to the same support as the Asterisk in my opinion. Granted those Fox and EVS are better then nothing but I don't think they do a whole lot cause you can easily flex and twist them with your hands. What kinda support is that! :) The Asterisk and CTI2 only move in the motion of your knee, They are solid in sideways motions or any other direction you wouldn't want your knee to bend in. On DRN you can search for a user by the name of BillyWho, he's one of the designers that works for Asterisk. Or call them up and ask to talk with Brad, I guarentee you'll think this company ranks up there with the best customer service you've ever dealt with. Their product is realatively new but they have a lot of back ground experience and they know what they're doing. You can tell by talking with Brad or Billy that they stand behind their product %100. I don't regret spending the money at all. Expecially since I've already felt them working in a crash and I've gone through knee reconstruction and I don't wish that upon anyone!! Let me know if you have any questions. You can probably tell that this is one product that I whole heartedly endorse and recomend. Talk to one of those two guys if you're even considering purchasing knee protection before you buy. No, I don't work for Asterisk, I'm a facilities Engineer for a technology company. But I sound like i should, don't I?

------------------
Khris
When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?
If it's dirty, I do it and think it!!

[This message has been edited by sirhk100 (edited 06-12-2001).]

• KIRK

Posted June 12, 2001 - 12:40 PM

Originally posted by JasonJ:
I checked out the * braces. $500 is a bit steep but it looks like you get 2 of em, that as it turns out is not a bad price cause I saw other braces for as much as $400 just for one on Dennis Kirk. I dont know, I think maybe a pair of the plastic $ 25 cups may be the hot deal here, I have fallen and bounced off my knees before but never any bad knee bang ups, I can here the voices of experience clearly here, but $500 is kinda steep. They look like a pain in the but to put on, how cumbersome are they to where? Do they go under or over your pants? Anyone getting a better deal than $550 like the web site says? Maybe a Thumper talk group discount in the works?

Sounds like you are wavering a bit on how much you want to spend on protective gear. I read sirkh response and he covered most everything concerning knee braces made by Innovation Sports (Asterik, CTi2, Edge) I myself have a Cti2 for my surgically repaired (2times) Rt knee and anEdge for my healthy left knee. Great braces, are comftorable and easy to get on and off. The Edge is a little more bulky, but it is an off the shelf brace, while the CTi2 is custom. If Innovation Sports had the Asterik at the time I would have purchased them instead. Why? The fastening system looks more comfortable and applicable to motorcycle riding, I also use mine for skiing and snowboarding. For the price they are asking for the Asterik you cannot afford not to have a pair for yourself. Again you may wonder why so much $ when you can get knee pads for $25. Let me put it this way. How much did you spend for your helmet, boots,chest protector? and why did you sp

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 12, 2001 - 01:26 PM

I too wear a CTI2 (insurance covered it) on my repaired left knee & I'm very seriously considering spending my own money on a pair of Asterik braces. I spoke with Brad @ Asterik & it sounds like they've addressed the issues I have with my CTI2.

Even though my knee surgery/rehab/brace was covered by my insurance my out of pocket expense with co-pays etc was more than the ~$550 for the Asterik braces.

Brian

• Dave_B

Posted June 12, 2001 - 04:05 PM

I have the Thor "elbow savers" and love them, by the multitude of scratches on them, I say they have paid for themselves ten time over. I just slip them on over my jersey and your good to go. The forearm extension really feels great also if you fall flat on your arm. I alway remember now to keep my hands up if I fall, and just "slide?" on the forearm protection. I also have the Thor knee\shin guards but I can't say much for them. Any protection you can wear I think is just good common sense. I was at the track three weeks ago and a guy missed a jump, crashed sideways, broke his handle bars, and left a good pound of forearm flesh on the hard packed clay. Hummmmmm, why?

------------------
00 WR400
00 XR 50
01 TTR 90
Metric tools

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 12, 2001 - 04:26 PM

Ditto on the Fox Extreme elbow guards. Ditto on the protective gear. About 4 months ago, I posted a story on my son and protective gear. He did a high-speed endo on a lakebed. The trauma surgeon said his Answer M7 helmet saved his life. His other gear saved almost everything else. As you might imagine, I'm a believer in protective gear.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 12, 2001 - 04:45 PM

Well I am not a racer but want to stay healty, But I dont have the 5 bills to drop right now, I will get some cups and maybe move up to the * braces some time, hopfully before I NEED them to keep my leg on straight. As far as the quality of the cheaper cups, I found the above tree demo very impressive. I suppose its the age thing, when your young, you have plenty of health and no money, when you get older you have plenty of money, less health and lots of hind sight. As far as the cost of the rest of my riding gear, at $250 my SIDI boots are the most expensive, but worth every penny ! Man I have bought dirt bikes for less than $500. Maybe the cost will come down if the product gets a bit more popular and more cost effective to make :) .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.