Wet Foul? What is it? *DELETED*

5 replies to this topic
  • wr_tree

Posted August 07, 2004 - 06:41 PM

Post deleted by wr_tree

• bikepilot

Posted August 07, 2004 - 07:47 PM

Depends.... how did it happen? If you pull out your plug and it looks black but dry, it usually means an overly rich mixture. Wet can possibly mean that the float in your carb stuck or the choke was on and really drenched the combustion chamber with fuel, or, maybe you tried to start it when there was no spark? Oil can also foul a plug and leave it wet looking... but I need more info to really help. If you had no trouble with your Honda, you were fortunate, and no doubt, it was a fine machine, however, all brands are susceptible to fouling issues of all kinds, depending, more or less, on their state of tune. It sounds as if a little tuning is all you may need to restore your satisfaction with your current bike. :thumbsup:

• wr_tree

Posted August 07, 2004 - 08:03 PM

I flooded it out today trying to start it. I think it is fouled because, through the course of the day, I tried to start for a combined 2.5 HOURS and it never did start. Therefore I think I "wet fouled" the plug. The bike is brand new and completely stock.
Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bikepilot

Posted August 08, 2004 - 07:40 AM

Okay, that doesn't seem so bad, here is what I do....
before you pull out the spark plug, blow the dirt out of the cavity with an air compressor if it looks like there is any that could fall down into the cylinder, then take the plug out. Make sure the gap is ok and the ceramic isn't cracked, etc. If it is still new enough, I sometimes forcibly burn off carbon deposits with a blowtorch, But better still, just put in a new one. If everything else is ok, then it should start right up. Then you should try to find out why it fouled in the first place, which goes back to the symptoms stated in my first reply. You said it happened when you were trying to start it. On these bikes there is an accelerator pump that provides a little squirt of gas every time you move the throttle, so don't :thumbsup: wick the throttle open and closed as you try to start or it will just flood it more. Also the hot-start lever adds a little air to lean the mix and prevent a flood when the bike is hot. (I am assuming it flooded when the bike was already warm) Sometimes holding the throttle wide open will help to clear a flood, but once you open the throttle, leave it open till the bike starts, don't let go and then open it again to try restarting. Just keep your hand on it and let what wet gas mix is in there dry out as much as possibe. Of course, when you are out in the woods, air compressors, blowtorches and other equipment tends to be a little scarce, so carrying a spare plug is always a good idea (including the spark plug wrench). Ideally, you will be able to get a good rhythm down so the fouling issue becomes non-existent, but it happens to the best of us eventually....
Happy riding!

• Hamish

Posted August 09, 2004 - 12:59 AM

Wet Foul? What is it?

So it's nothing to do with chickens??? :thumbsup:

• ovrrdrive

Posted August 09, 2004 - 06:16 AM

Wet Foul? What is it?

So it's nothing to do with chickens??? :thumbsup:

That was terrible... :awww:

I'm going to have to call a fowl on that one. :devil:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.