Flakey xr600

4 replies to this topic
  • B0b

Posted August 07, 2004 - 04:30 PM

I have a problem with my 92 xr600. I just got the bike back together this week and went out tonight to buzz around on the trails. It ran ok for about half an hour, but then it got a little funny. It'd run fine wide open but when I'd slow down to turn the engine would be racing (high rpms, like it was running lean). Other times when I was on the road moving to a new trail the bike would stall when I slowed down for stop signs, I'd pull in the clutch and let off the throttle and it'd stall (actually, it's always done this but tonight it wouldn't bump start again before I stopped).
When I got tired of riding and came home I left it running in the driveway. It seemed to be running fine but the it just shut off, no sputter, no cough, just shut down. I started it and it wanted to run fast again, then shut off. Started again, wanted to run a little slow. Poof it shuts off again. I left it about 5 or 10 minutes started again but it didn't stall this time.

Any ideas why this might be happening? gummed up carb? frigged up electrical?

I've had to take the bike apart twice in the last month to get the frame welded. So everything has been sitting around the garage for a while. The carb was wrapped in a clean rag though.

this is very frustrating trying to get this flakey bike running properly. It worked fine a month ago, actually it was running great.

please help.

• BWB63

Posted August 07, 2004 - 05:36 PM

It sounds like your float valve is sticking our your float adjustment is off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moleculo

Posted August 07, 2004 - 06:38 PM

I would first try unplugging the kill button - if it's intermittently shorting, unplugging it will solve the problem. I doubt it's that, but I always like to try the easy stuff first.
To me the symptom sounds more carburation related. When you reinstalled the carb did you seat it properly on both ends and tighten the clamps enough? What condition is the o-ring that seals the intake manifold to the head?
Did you unplug the CDI when you welded the frame? If not, you could have damaged it. I've never come across a semi-failed CDI though. Usually a bike with a bad CDI will not run at all.
Did you leave a rag in the airbox? It sounds stupid, but when you're eager to ride and hurrying to get your bike back together it could happen.
If you have any friends with '91 or newer 600's, you could try swapping the carb and/or CDI from their bike onto yours to see which (if either) eliminates the symptom.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted August 09, 2004 - 06:20 PM

Now who in their right mind would leave a rag in the air box :devil:

Don't worry they pull out of the carb easily :thumbsup:

• B0b

Posted August 10, 2004 - 03:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I tried cleaning out the carb but never saw any problems with it. It turns out the fuel valve was plugged in the "on" position. Reseve works fine though (for now) and I'll clean the crud out of the valve soon. Something must have dropped in or stirred up from the bottom when I was taking the tank off.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.