Aux headlight options

6 replies to this topic
  • jpryce

Posted August 07, 2004 - 02:00 PM

I have been searching for additional lighting for my WR with little success. Changing to a higher wattage bulb helps, but I would like more light for night woods riding without going "full baja" (HID). I was looking at the Acerbis 3 light setup, but are 3 20watt bulbs brighter than one 60watt? What about LEDs? I would like something that can be run on 12 volts. There must be something out there.

• the426master

Posted August 07, 2004 - 02:53 PM

I have a piaa 80/80 super wight bulb and it is extreamly bright and I made a high and low toggle switch for it on high both fillements are on you should be impressed with on I got mine from baja designs :thumbsup:

• ETP

Posted August 07, 2004 - 08:23 PM

Do you have a WR450 or 426/400?

My 03 450 can only handle about 60 watts of headlight. Would like to try an HID, but they are expensive. Maybe the 426/400's can handle more than 60 watts..
Went on a dual sport night ride last week. Some guys had some real trick dual LED lights on the sides of thier helmets. Strange looking. Like a scene from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • the426master

Posted August 08, 2004 - 08:54 AM

I have a 426 and it does great pushing 80 and 160 but 160 gets hot quick :thumbsup:

• jpryce

Posted August 08, 2004 - 01:07 PM

I have an '03 450. I am running an 80/100 bulb now. Who made the LED helmet lights?

• ETP

Posted August 08, 2004 - 05:39 PM

I have an '03 450. I am running an 80/100 bulb now. Who made the LED helmet lights?

Wow. :thumbsup: I tried a 55w and 35w (90 total) which dimmed both. That was on the AC 12 volt circuit which was meant for the stock WR450 lighting. Maybe you are running on the DC 12 volt circuit. Be carefull if you are. I ran all my lights on the DC circuit and it worked well until a long night ride. After about 2 hours, the battery was drained, and the bike barely ran.
I think my AC and DC systems are working properly. Maybe not.....

Here is a link for one of the light companies.

• jpryce

Posted August 09, 2004 - 02:51 PM

Yup, the Baja Designs kit changes the lights from the AC to DC circuits. I noticed the battery drain on a long night ride. That's part of the reason I was looking for lower draw LED solution. Probably go back to a 55/60 if I can find something.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.