Hot starting problem '99 WR400

5 replies to this topic
  • SmallMonkey

Posted August 07, 2004 - 01:12 PM

Here's the deal...I can start this thing 1st or 2nd kick when it's cold. I ride it for a bit, shut it down and I can't restart it till about 10 minutes later.

I've tried to use the same "cold start drill" (minus the choke plus the hot start lever), No luck. I've also tried it without the hot start lever, no luck.
No matter what I try, it won't start till it cools down just a bit.

HELP!!!!!!

• SmallMonkey

Posted August 11, 2004 - 09:24 PM

I know this is a tired topic, but I have searched...No answers to this particular question.

Can anyone help me??
Thanks in Advance!!

• Bluebomber

Posted August 12, 2004 - 06:54 AM

Make sure you take out the hot start on the carb and clean it. I had the same problem until I started cleaning out the hot start. It will get gummed up and won't let the carb lean out and restart.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted August 12, 2004 - 03:33 PM

When is the last time that you checked your valve clerances. When the valves get tight it gets hard to start. Worth checking.

• tcmII

Posted August 13, 2004 - 05:35 AM

I have found that when I have a hot start problem it helps to pull in the decompression lever, kick 5-6 times and then start with NO gas, no choke & no hot start.

This is usually just after a unplanned get off!! :thumbsup:

• SmallMonkey

Posted August 14, 2004 - 04:32 AM

Good advice!! Thanks, gentlemen!!

I'll let you know :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.