HAD FUN WITH HIS 650R

146 replies to this topic
  • Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted August 08, 2004 - 03:00 PM

you want to cut and paste opinions? Well here is a fact, A 650R with a good rider, up against a 625 with a good rider, 650r wins hands down when uncorked. Hands down. Thank you for coming here and posting your experience outriding a beginer, it is just not credible.

• Naru

Posted August 08, 2004 - 03:32 PM

As most people will tell you, it's 90% rider, 10% bike. It sounds like you should go take up your victory with him, not us. Otherwise, you can climb up the basement steps from your computer and try and get the attention you want from your mommy and step-daddy.

PS - You aren't a readhead, are you? :thumbsup:

• JetPilot

Posted August 08, 2004 - 10:57 PM

To give Chopjaw credit, he probably did stomp the hell out of a Honda XR on that KTM of his :thumbsup: What obviously happend here was that Chopjaw mistook that XR250 he was racing against for an XR650R :awww:

Someones going to be really dissapointed when they go up against a real XR650R :devil:

• chopjaw

Posted August 09, 2004 - 03:49 AM

That article doesn't give the 625 a whole lot of credit..said it was like a heavy XR650R that vibrates alot...and they praise the electric start...which to me sends up an automatic credibility flag. I'll take a 650R anyday, I mean who really wants a kickstart on the friggin left side..LOL

I also was really concerned about the kick-start on the left side. After doing it a couple of times. Not so bad. Still, it is a beast to kick. Just push the button and go. Elec start is the bomb. You should put one on your bike. Makes life easier.

Later.

• chopjaw

Posted August 09, 2004 - 03:51 AM

As most people will tell you, it's 90% rider, 10% bike. It sounds like you should go take up your victory with him, not us. Otherwise, you can climb up the basement steps from your computer and try and get the attention you want from your mommy and step-daddy.

PS - You aren't a readhead, are you? :thumbsup:

Bro,

What are u talking about?? What is a "readhead". Are u ok, do you need spell check help.

Late.

• chopjaw

Posted August 09, 2004 - 04:05 AM

You all think that this guy was a beginner. You all must think that there is no way a KTM can beat a Honda. :thumbsup:

I must say that is really narrow thinking.

You all are very loyal. That is a good thing.

Late.

• wickedsprint

Posted August 09, 2004 - 07:05 AM

No..we just don't believe a heavier bike with a 20hp deficit destroyed a 650R..lol I guess if you romped it a second before he did and he was in the wrong gear..it's possible. But all things being equal, a properly jetted uncorked 650R should no trouble with a 625. Just be happy you're the better rider.

• chopjaw

Posted August 09, 2004 - 07:23 AM

No..we just don't believe a heavier bike with a 20hp deficit destroyed a 650R..lol I guess if you romped it a second before he did and he was in the wrong gear..it's possible. But all things being equal, a properly jetted uncorked 650R should no trouble with a 625. Just be happy you're the better rider.

Thanks for the props.

I am TELLING YOU ALL, THERE IS NOT A 20HP DIFFERENCE.!!!!! CHRIST!!!!!!!!

• qadsan

Posted August 09, 2004 - 07:35 AM

I am TELLING YOU ALL, THERE IS NOT A 20HP DIFFERENCE.!!!!! CHRIST!!!!!!!!

You're right! It's more like a difference of 22.12 per those published specs :devil:

Honda XR650R = 61.00hp @6750rpm
KTM 625 SXC = 38.88hp @6000rpm

61.00 - 38.88 = 22.12 :thumbsup:

• mikekay

Posted August 09, 2004 - 07:42 AM

Chopjaw-
You rock!
Takes some major cajones to come over to another forum and stir the shiite !!!

For that i totally like you.

Your 625 is a cool bike. I was glad to see KTM come out with it. I imagine the 625 with the factory 700 Rally engine hop up, including a machine balanced crank, would run neck and neck with a fully built XR650R. For sure a KTM 700 with Meoni and Nani or the Pearsons or a Caselli/Lanza team could beat Team Honda in Baja. I didnt say they would-just that they could. It would depend on who was having a good day and who wasnt...
Stock both your bike and the XR650 have some serious issues. Yours is an unbalanced paint shaker from hell--our carb pisses fuel if you sneeze in its direction-leaving to exhaustion trying to kick it. Many times i wanted your button...
Both bikes are mildly tuned for trail rides--forcing costly hop ups front to rear to make them perfomance oriented...
Just FYI your bike has been discontinued in the USA. There are a few dozens left in the system-but then its adios.
KTM just might have something up its sleeve when it comes to big bore dirt bikes---perhaps the mighty LC4 engine has come to the end of the road...but with KTM experimenting on 2 wheel drive, V4's, fuel injection, and a Team USA Dakar attempt---well the question is:
What bike is KTM going to use and promote? A LC4 based bike that isnt any longer available in the USA? Thats weird.
It would be like Honda putting together a team of Italians to win the Baja 1000 on a XR600. Makes no sense.
I think pig riders are about to get slammed by a pumpkin that out performs the BRP is all ways...a two wheel drive EXC 570 at the Baja 1000?...some other, new platform of large displacment dirt bike? i am TOTALLY GUESSING...but for sure KTM is a very dynamic company right now that wants to make an impact on the US market and is spending big big big bucks to put Americans on the Dakar podium....WHY?
Just for fun? To sell more bikes?
I also think Honda will answer with a CRF600X in a couple years...again just reading between the lines--no inside info.

Yeah that 625 is not so bad. For sure no one has built the big displacement bike that needs to be built. 70horses, 21st century components-suspension, brakes, fuel injection, steering dampner, dual sportable, race course ready.
Add in a package of parts--bigger tanks, buddy pegs, HID lights, sprockets, skid plate, etc...a pizza hutch on the back rack...
It could happen. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted August 09, 2004 - 08:21 AM

Woe...Mike, you're starting to sound like Irondude :thumbsup:

From what I have in my notes, the 625 SXC 'paint shaker' is a 55HP machine in stock form that can be bumped up from there. I'm guessing it wouldn't take a whole lot to get this bike to the low 60HP range.

• wickedsprint

Posted August 09, 2004 - 08:27 AM

We should just all be happy we have these kinds of motorcycles to ride...7 years ago the race 600rs of honda didn't have the power of an uncorked 650R of today...imagine 5 years fromnow...

• chopjaw

Posted August 09, 2004 - 10:20 AM

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the backup. They are not bringing any more SXC's into the contray because for the Eruo to Dollar conversion. I was told that they are loosing ± 1,800 to 2,000 dollars per bike at the border. The 640 and 625 are really big in Europe. They run those bikes on the Motard circuit. I can see why they lose money. With all of the aftermarket parts that come on the bike it is amazing. That was one of the major reasons I didnt get a Honda 650R. Also, if you put both bikes together the (IMHO) KTM is WAY better looking (Can you hear the can opening). As far as bikes, I was going to get a Honda. I rode one, did all of the research and decided to get one. So I went to the Honda dealership and they were waiting on the truck to come in. I drove by the KTM dealership here in Vegas to stopped in to take a look. That is when I saw the KTM 625. I knew it was the one. As far as the Honda, I just came here to stir the pot, by the looks of it. I GOT IT. The honda is a great bike. You cant argue against it. I think that havent changed that bike in like 10yrs???? SO, all of you that came back to me with such venom, Learn how to take a little ribbing. To all of you that are cool, Have happy trails and fun rides... :thumbsup:

• chopjaw

Posted August 09, 2004 - 10:21 AM

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the backup. They are not bringing any more SXC's into the country because for the Eruo to Dollar conversion. I was told that they are loosing ± 1,800 to 2,000 dollars per bike at the border. The 640 and 625 are really big in Europe. They run those bikes on the Motard circuit. I can see why they lose money. With all of the aftermarket parts that come on the bike it is amazing. That was one of the major reasons I didnt get a Honda 650R. Also, if you put both bikes together the (IMHO) KTM is WAY better looking (Can you hear the can opening). As far as bikes, I was going to get a Honda. I rode one, did all of the research and decided to get one. So I went to the Honda dealership and they were waiting on the truck to come in. I drove by the KTM dealership here in Vegas to stopped in to take a look. That is when I saw the KTM 625. I knew it was the one. As far as the Honda, I just came here to stir the pot, by the looks of it. I GOT IT. The honda is a great bike. You cant argue against it. I think that havent changed that bike in like 10yrs???? SO, all of you that came back to me with such venom (BIG T,BWB63,PIN-N-CR5HUNDY,WIKEDSPRINT,NARU,JET PILOT), Learn how to take a little ribbing. To all of you that are cool, Have happy trails and fun rides... :thumbsup:

• wickedsprint

Posted August 09, 2004 - 10:29 AM

The 650R has been out since what..2000, not quite ten years and the frame is pretty new.

• chopjaw

Posted August 09, 2004 - 10:34 AM

OK, The 650.

• chopjaw

Posted August 09, 2004 - 10:46 AM

[image]http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/107869/[/image]

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 09, 2004 - 10:51 AM

OK, The 650.

Woah, There is a huge difference between the 650L and the 650R's motors, frames, you name it. They are not the same bike. Have you been talking about the 650L? It has been around quite a few years and is old school but the 650R, as has been stated already, came out in 2000. With that last post I have become confused :thumbsup:. I thought we were talking about the 650R. No wonder you smoked the poor dude. Maybe it does cost $2000.00 to uncork a 650L? :devil: :awww: :lol: :D :lol: :D :D

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted August 09, 2004 - 10:56 AM

well which are you refering to? The r and L are not even in the same class chop, maybe it was the L that you beat up on?

• wickedsprint

Posted August 09, 2004 - 11:19 AM

Did the bike have an aluminum frame or a tube steal frame?...your stories credibility depends on it..lol..well partially.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.