HAD FUN WITH HIS 650R

146 replies to this topic
  • chopjaw

Posted August 07, 2004 - 12:07 PM

I just wanted to stop by today and say HOW happy I am for NOT buying a Honda 650R. Instead I bought a KTM 625 SXC. The reason I say this is, I was out today and this guy riding a 650 pulled up beside me on a trail (2track) and wanted to race. So naturally I gave in to his wishes. We started off almost neck-in-neck 1st-2nd gear. That is when the KTM really showes off it's better HP. I roosted that guy all day. He was really impressed on how I could have a almost stock bike and he spent almost $2000 "uncorking" (to use a phrase of you honda owners) his bike and STILL he could not even keep up with the ol' KTM. So I just wanted to extend my thanks for buying up all of the 650's so I could get a KTM. :thumbsup:

• SMOKE

Posted August 07, 2004 - 02:15 PM

first off come to my neck of the woods and i will make the K & N or sorry ktm run home for mommy after its beating the dude on the 650 must of been a girl who is scared to twist the throtle

question are you sure you weren't dreaming???

baja speaks for itself

• Dezrider

Posted August 07, 2004 - 02:27 PM

Glad you "had fun with his 650R".

At 291lbs dry, Dirt Bike Magazine said that, "It's a great big beast that even makes the XR650 seem small." They also said that, "the bike does not steer very well without a lot of effort."

You might be wise to keep it on paved roads.
:thumbsup:

• chopjaw

Posted August 07, 2004 - 03:03 PM

Smoke,

Calm down bro, it was just bustin chops. I live in Las Vegas. Why dont we meet up and ride. We can go to Paharump and start at wheelers pass on that side of the mtn, go over the mtn and the first person to cold creek wins. Let's plan it in the fall when the temp is a little more cooler.???

As far as dreaming, sorry bro I wasent. Maybe he was not as accomplished as you are. But when we were on the cold creek road, on a straight run for about 1.5mi @ WOT. He was way behind.

As far as Baja, KTM has (far as I know) never ran a team. I think that they concentrate on Paris to Dakar race. But then again, I dont know.

Cheers man.

• big t

Posted August 07, 2004 - 03:19 PM

If it cost him $2k to uncork his bike he sure as hell didn't know what he was doing because it only cost about $30 bucks. As far as which bike is faster I don't know. I haven't heard anything about the 625 sxc yet. I did look at the 625smc the other day and it does look sweet. If you did beat him that bad it could have been a few reasons. Maybe he was scared to do 100 mph on the dirt, maybe he just started riding, he might have had it geared low etc or maybe you are just to fast. :thumbsup: Now get the hell back to the KTM forum.

• qadsan

Posted August 07, 2004 - 03:25 PM

he spent almost $2000 "uncorking" (to use a phrase of you honda owners)

Wow, that poor guy got ripped spending $2K on uncorking his bike. Even when buying all the parts from a retail Honda dealer, it shouldn't cost more than $200 and it can be done much cheaper than that when buying parts from a discount Honda dealer. Most folks spend $150 or less with the factory HRC exhaust tip and it can be done even cheaper if the person decides to drill out their stock exhaust.

625SXC = Nice Bike :thumbsup:
Congrats on your new bike :devil:

• BWB63

Posted August 07, 2004 - 03:34 PM

The spec's are below but, bottom line is HP/Torque @ flywheel:
KTM 625 SXC = 38.88hp @6000rpm and 32.2ft pounds torque @ 3500 RPM

Honda XR650R = 61.00hp @6750rpm and 47.2ft pounds torque @ 5500rpm

General information
Model: KTM 625 SXC :thumbsup:
Year: 2003
Category: Enduro/offroad

Engine and transmission
Displacement:
625.00 ccm (38.14 cubic inches)
Engine type:
Single cylinder
Stroke:
Power: 32.88 HP (24.0 kW)) @ 6000 RPM

Torque:
45.00 Nm (4.6 kgf-m or 33.2 ft.lbs) @ 3500 RPM

Compression:
11.5:1
Bore x stroke:
101.0 x 78.0 mm (4.0 x 3.1 inches)
Fuel system: Carburettor
Valves per cylinder:
Cooling system:
Liquid
Gearbox:
5-speed
Transmission type
final drive: Chain
Physical measures
Dry weight: 132.0 kg (291.0 pounds)
Seat height: 980 mm (38.6 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Wheelbase:
1,510 mm (59.4 inches)
Ground clearance: 360 mm (14.2 inches)
Chassis and dimensions
Front suspension:
WP-USD 43 MA
Front suspension travel: 295 mm (11.6 inches)
Rear suspension:
WP - Monoshock
Rear suspension travel: 320 mm (12.6 inches)
Front tyre dimensions:
90/90-21
Rear tyre dimensions:
140/80-18
Front brakes: Single disc
Front brakes diameter: 260 mm (10.2 inches)
Rear brakes: Single disc
Rear brakes diameter: 220 mm (8.7 inches)
Speed and acceleration
Other specifications
Fuel capacity: 9.00 litres (2.38 gallons)
Reserve fuel capacity: 2.50 litres (0.66 gallons)

General information
Model: Honda XR 650 R :devil:
Year: 2001
Category: Enduro/offroad

Engine and transmission
Displacement:
649.00 ccm (39.60 cubic inches)
Engine type:
Single cylinder
Stroke:
Power: 61.00 HP (44.5 kW)) @ 6750 RPM

Torque:
64.00 Nm (6.5 kgf-m or 47.2 ft.lbs) @ 5500 RPM

Bore x stroke:
100.0 x 82.6 mm (3.9 x 3.3 inches)
Fuel system: Carburettor
Valves per cylinder:
Gearbox:
5-speed
Transmission type
final drive: Chain
Physical measures
Dry weight: 129.0 kg (284.4 pounds)
Seat height: 935 mm (36.8 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Wheelbase:
1,485 mm (58.5 inches)
Chassis and dimensions
Front suspension travel: 285 mm (11.2 inches)
Rear suspension travel: 308 mm (12.1 inches)
Front brakes: Single disc
Front brakes diameter: 240 mm (9.4 inches)
Rear brakes: Single disc
Rear brakes diameter: 240 mm (9.4 inches)
Speed and acceleration
Top speed: 164.0 km/h (101.9 mph)
Other specifications
Fuel capacity: 10.00 litres (2.64 gallons)

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted August 07, 2004 - 06:00 PM

Based on the specs, someone needs to put down the crackpipe :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted August 07, 2004 - 06:17 PM

I thought the published HP for our scoot was 55hp at crank but, it shows different here. You can look up different bikes and there spec's here;

http://www.bikez.com/brands/index.php

This one must be a typo :awww: :lol:
http://www.motorbike...M/2004/625 SXC/

I didn't know that the KTM 625 used a CV carburetor :devil:
Maybe he was racing an XR650L :thumbsup:

• frankstr

Posted August 08, 2004 - 05:19 AM

Based on the specs, someone needs to put down the crackpipe :awww:

Somethin :thumbsup:
I've got a little over a grand spent on my BRP and it sure the hell was'nt all spent on the uncorking :devil:
The dude on the 650 was a nervous rider or it was geared real low.....?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chopjaw

Posted August 08, 2004 - 09:40 AM

Dude, Those spec's are from the KTM that is released in Europe. I really dont know the HP of my bike but, it has to be somewhere around 58. The bike from Europe is really held back because of their crazy rules about bikes. The one's that are brought to the states are SOO much better. Same bike but without all of the restrictions. I have the 2004 model w/Keiehin FCR carb. Way better power than the 2003.

I should say this, I do have one friend who has a KTM 625 and a Honda 650. He perfers to ride the KTM over the 650R. Why?? he like the "power delivery better in the 625 and how it handles offroad' than the 650.

Do a lookup of someone who has both. ASK THEM!!!! then you will see what I am talking about.

Later.

• big t

Posted August 08, 2004 - 09:51 AM

I guess we better stay away from those 625's or we'll get waxed. :thumbsup: Thanks for the warning slackjaw or chopped slaw whatever your name is.

• BWB63

Posted August 08, 2004 - 10:03 AM

are right here are the numbers for the 2004 KTM 625 SXC with the FCR caruretor! Even lower hp! This is for a bike sold here. Maybe you can come up with better numbers....I can't.

Model KTM 625 SXC 2004
Category Off-road/Enduro
ENGINE
Type 625 cc, liquid cooled, single cylinder, 4-stroke
Bore x stroke (mm) 101 mm x 78 mm
Compression ratio 11.5:1
Valves OHC, 4 valves/cylinder
Fuel system Keihin FCR- MX 41
Ignition Kokusan DC-CDI 4K5
Power 24 hp (17.9 kW) @ 6000 rpm
Torque 45 Nm (33.2 ft. lbs) @ 3500 rpm
Lubrication system Pressure lubrication with 2 Eaton pumps
Exhaust aluminum SXC
TRANSMISSION
Clutch wet multi-disc clutch, operated hydraulically
Gearbox 5 speed
Final drive Chain, 16:40
Starting system Electronic & Kick
CHASSIS
Frame chromium-molybdenum, power-coated
Front suspension WP-USD 43 MA, 295 mm travel
Rear suspension WP - Monoshock, 320 mm travel
Fork angle / Trail 26.5 / 124 mm (4.9 inches)
WHEELS
Front wheel 1.60 x 21
Rear wheel 2.50 x 18
Front tyre 90/90-21
Rear tyre 140/80-18
Front brakes single 260 mm disc with 2-piston calipers
Rear brakes single 220 mm disc with 1-piston calipers
DIMENSIONS
980 mm (38.6 inches)
Wheelbase 1510 mm (59.4 inches)
Ground clearance 360 mm (14.2 inches)
Fuel capacity - reserve 9 l (2.4 gallon US)
Dry weight 132 kg (291 pounds)

• qadsan

Posted August 08, 2004 - 10:11 AM

The bike from Europe is really held back because of their crazy rules about bikes.

That's backwards for the XR650R. In the USA, the XR650R is very restricted, but in Europe the XR650R comes stock right off the showroom floor with the open intake, HRC exhaust tip, no smog stuff (Honda PAIRS system), air box restrictors removed, good jetting, etc.

Here's a nice article on the 625SXC
http://www.dirtbikem...com/current.asp

• qadsan

Posted August 08, 2004 - 10:16 AM

What are the gear ratios for the 625SXC and what size sprockets does it use?

• wickedsprint

Posted August 08, 2004 - 11:32 AM

I am guessing he raced a novice/cautious 650R rider. I bet this same kid probably drives a civic and got next to a mustang cobra one day and heard its exhaust..and thought it was racing...you see their type every day.

• BWB63

Posted August 08, 2004 - 11:51 AM

16/40?

• chopjaw

Posted August 08, 2004 - 11:56 AM

BRO,

You mean to tell me and everybody else that the 625 comes with 24hp. I ride the bike and IT DOES NOT come with 24hp. I guess that my CRF450 has more power than the KTM.. :thumbsup:

What you are looking at is the European standard for HP rating. I dont understand it but that has to be the only explanition for those numbers.

I am glad that I gave you all something to ponder... :devil:

take care

• chopjaw

Posted August 08, 2004 - 11:59 AM

AUG 5--BIG MAMA--KTM 625

We’ve seen it before. A giant electromagnet is lowered into the parts warehouse. It pulls out 300 pounds of wires, parts, mousetraps and warehouse debris then dumps it on a junior engineer’s desk with a Post-it note that says "do something with this." Presto! Another parts bin bike is born. Dirt bike history is full of them; some good, some bad, almost all quickly forgotten.
The question here: is the KTM 625SXC a collection of left-over parts or is it another step in the evolution of a great line of motorcycles? The LC-4 first arrived in 1987, when a "liquid-cooled four-stroke" was something special. It was hard to start, heavy, ill-handling and unremarkable in most ways. But it had potential, and got a little better every year. Over 16 years, that adds up to a lot better. But the whole LC-4 dynasty got kind of forgotten when the newer, lighter RFS line (the 525s and 450s) came into being. So what is the SXC and why is it still here?

ONE BIG BIKE
Actually, the RFS KTM line is the best thing that could have happened to the SXC. Now the 625 is no longer expected to be a lightweight race bike. It’s been liberated to become something much more appropriate; we’ll call it a dirt cruiser. You can call it dual-sport material or an Austrian Honda XR650. Accordingly, it grew a battery and an electric starter. Even more important, the price fell into XR territory. That’s pretty amazing considering that the bike probably costs more to manufacture than KTM’s new four-strokes. And even more amazing when you consider that current international exchange rates have the dollar at an all-time low versus the euro. The bottom line is that KTM is taking a bit of a beating with the SXC in order to get it established in its new role.
The motor is still a liquid-cooled, four-valve thumper with a wet sump design and a five-speed gearbox. It’s still 625cc in actual displacement. It uses older WP suspension components and is the only KTM with rear shock linkage. That’s right, no PDS, no twin-piston shock; it has good old fashioned linkage. We don’t know if that makes it a KTM from the past or the future.
One very significant new addition is the Mikuni CV carb. The bike already meets the emissions requirements for a California green sticker and probably isn’t far from street specs. Combine that with the keyed ignition and we smell dual sport all over this bike. KTM hasn’t gone the extra mile for the governmental smile. You’ll have to supply blinkers, mirrors and hook up the brake light switch.

TRAIL TIME
If you’ve ridden an uncorked Honda XR650R, then you can skip this paragraph. The KTM’s power is so Honda-like it’s amazing. It’s all about torque. You virtually idle up steep hills and all it takes is a slight twist of throttle to instantly leap up to crazy speed. It’s a blast. The KTM 625 isn’t much of a revver, but it’s still making power at 8500 rpm. There’s just no real incentive to scream the motor when it’s so much fun down low. Outside of the XR, there truly is no other bike that compares for this type of throbbing torque; not the 525, not an ATK, not any of the 450s, not even a KX500 (although that’s the closest). The XR and the SXC are two of a kind. To the KTM’s credit, it already makes that kind of power without any monkey motion. A stock Honda, as delivered, barely runs. You have to remove airbox baffles, cut a restrictor out of the intake manifold and figure out something to do about the exhaust. The KTM runs great from the moment you buy it. The stock exhaust is reasonably quiet and allows the bike to run. We will offer only one complaint about the KTM motor. The jetting is goofy. It’s obviously lean—that much we expect. But it’s very inconsistent and hard to jet. That’s typical of CV carburetors. Even so, we have to point out that a stock Honda is crazy lean as delivered, too.
The KTM has another advantage over the Honda: the electric starter. It’s powerful and spins the motor easily, whereas the Honda can be a beast if it doesn’t want to kick. The KTM even kickstarts fairly easily if you get the hang of having the starter on the left. Remember, this motor is straight out of the ’80s. Euro motors were all backwards back then. The starter’s on the left and the countershaft sprocket is on the right. That starts a chain reaction of backwards parts; the ignition and the rear brake are different from the more modern parts that run on the new KTMs. Everything works, though, and the magic button means you might not ever realize where the kickstarter is.

TRAIL MAKER
Here’s some advice. If you ride with a guy on a 625, let him go first. He’ll make great big berms and knock all the brush out of the way. It’s no light, petite motorcycle. It’s a great, big beast that makes even a Honda 650R seem small. The bike doesn’t steer without a lot of effort. The front end sits a little high so you really have to sit forward in an almost awkward position to make the front wheel bite. It’s a rear-wheel steering bike, just like it was in the old days. The best way to make it turn is to slide the back around. The only real bright side is that it’s much more manageable than any of the real dual-sport bikes in its category, including the Honda 650L air-cooled bike.
KTM knows what the bike is and set up the suspension for casual cruising instead of hard racing. It’s a big sofa. That’s great for the comfort factor, but probably makes the bike feel even heavier than it really is. When you gas it, there’s a lot of chassis movement. We know that the suspension has a lot of potential, though. A few years ago, Nick and Russ Pearson won Vegas to Reno on basically this bike. Pro Circuit set up the bike into a real racer.
Back in the old days we used to complain about odd gaps in the gear ratios of the LC-4 motors. We don’t notice that so much any more, probably because the bike’s torque is so awesome that you don’t really notice what gear you’re in. But shifting is a little weird. At first we thought we kept knocking it into neutral. Then we realized it wasn’t our fault. Grass and brush will actually push the gear selector from first to neutral. The solution is to use second all the time.
A much bigger complaint is vibration. It’s a shaker. That puts a very big damper on the whole dual-sport idea. We’ve ridden several KTMs that use the same motor, including the 640 Adventure. Some vibrate more than others. It’s simply a matter of how well the crank is balanced from the factory. If you get a shaker, it’s probably worth the time and money to split the cases and rebalance the crank. You’ll be happier when you’re halfway to La Paz and you can still feel your fingertips.
So, getting back to the original question: is the 625 a parts bin bike? Sure, but it’s a very smart one. There’s nothing else quite like it. A Honda 650 is close, a big ATK is close, a KTM 525EXC is close. But nothing puts together price, power, electric starting and easy dual-sport conversion this way. For a surprisingly large group of riders, the bike is absolutely perfect. If you’re in that crowd, you know who you are.

• wickedsprint

Posted August 08, 2004 - 12:09 PM

That article doesn't give the 625 a whole lot of credit..said it was like a heavy XR650R that vibrates alot...and they praise the electric start...which to me sends up an automatic credibility flag. I'll take a 650R anyday, I mean who really wants a kickstart on the friggin left side..LOL

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.