00 Yz426f

22 replies to this topic
  • topgear

Posted August 07, 2004 - 12:03 AM

hi, next week i am doing a straight swap. my yz250 99 for a 00 yz426f. the 426 has n-style hot wheels graphics & full white bros exhaust system.

just wondering if you can tell me everything i need to know about the 2000 model 426's. what to look for and what common problems they have if any.

• Satch0922

Posted August 07, 2004 - 01:26 AM

just do a search here in this forum...you will find TONS of information on the bike.

• thumperslider54

Posted August 07, 2004 - 02:19 AM

450 cam mod is A must have mod. :thumbsup:

• yz426onNOS

Posted August 07, 2004 - 03:44 PM

Learn the starting drill and you will be good. Hell I’ll post it for you. Forget that stupid cam mod. Real men know how to start a bike without taking the easy way out.

Replace those ^&&^%%#@@ two piece valves. Then it will be as solid as a rock. It will last forever and you will have great fun!

• yz426onNOS

Posted August 07, 2004 - 03:44 PM

The only way to start the bike!

-pull the choke/hot start
-pull the decompression lever
-kick the bike over 20 times with the lever held in
-release the decompression lever
-let the kickstart return to the top
-chop the gass 2 times
-kick it till it stops
-pull the decompression lever in 1/4 of an inch
-kick the kickstarter one inch
-return to the top
-let go of the decompression lever
-hand off the gas
-kick it as hard as you can

If it dose not fire first time repeat this over and over untill it dose. If it still wont fire somthing is wrong.

-kick it till it stops
-return to the top
-Hand off the gas
:devil: :thumbsup:

• the426master

Posted August 07, 2004 - 04:19 PM

The only way to start the bike!

-pull the choke/hot start
-pull the decompression lever
-kick the bike over 20 times with the lever held in
-release the decompression lever
-let the kickstart return to the top
-chop the gass 2 times
-kick it till it stops
-return to the top
-hand off the gas

If it dose not fire first time repeat this over and over untill it dose. If it still wont fire somthing is wrong.

-kick it till it stops
-return to the top
-Hand off the gas
:awww: :thumbsup:

something must be wrong with your bike because my bike starts the first kick after I get it to tds almost every time :devil:

• yz426onNOS

Posted August 07, 2004 - 05:02 PM

Nothing wrong with it at all. What are you questioning? The 20 kicks is to get rid of flooding and to clean it out. The chop of gas gives it something to start with. This works on everyone’s bike. I have started so many peoples bike this way.

• Fastest1

Posted August 07, 2004 - 06:36 PM

Some bikes wont start at all if you touch the throttle. It all has to do with accel pump squirt. Too much and it is over. I am a real man and I love the 450 cam mod, yes I could be stubborn and resist but why? It also lets the motor relight if you stalled it and are still rolling or even if you stall it in the air it would restart upon landing! Will yours do that? Or can the man in you kick it in mid air? :thumbsup:

• yz426onNOS

Posted August 07, 2004 - 06:50 PM

Some bikes wont start at all if you touch the throttle. It all has to do with accel pump squirt. Too much and it is over. I am a real man and I love the 450 cam mod, yes I could be stubborn and resist but why? It also lets the motor relight if you stalled it and are still rolling or even if you stall it in the air it would restart upon landing! Will yours do that? Or can the man in you kick it in mid air? :thumbsup:

You only chop the gas when your going to start it for the first time. Then you don't touch the gas. Yes I am a stubborn SOB. But all you have to do to get it started again. Is while the rear tire is skidding, tap the decompression lever. It will fire instantly.

• Hamish

Posted August 08, 2004 - 01:02 AM

-kick it till it stops
-return to the top
-Hand off the gas

If the above doesnt work, you have compression or tuning issues. The only time mine doesnt start 1st kick is when I'm lazy and kick it sitting down (works about 1/2 the time)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted August 08, 2004 - 02:19 AM

You only chop the gas when your going to start it for the first time. Then you don't touch the gas. Yes I am a stubborn SOB. But all you have to do to get it started again. Is while the rear tire is skidding, tap the decompression lever. It will fire instantly.

Fastest one is right. With the cam mod you get:

1. no "stupid drill" to start the bike (if you race the bike you will find out soon enough how valuable this is. Yeah I could start my bike too....hence racing it for over a year before doing the cam mod. BUT I was ready to dump it for an 03 450 because of the autodecomp makes the older bikes obsolete)

2. You can fly into a corner, lock the rear wheel and if the bike stalls no problem....you can let off the brakes and the bike starts right back up. Try racing a bike and having to reach for the decomp lever...IT AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN!!

3. The cam gives the bike a smooth pull from bottom till it hits the rev limiter...very nice transition. Also it lessens the compression braking which makes the bike much easier to manage on an MX track.

The cam mod is the single best mod you can do to the bike.. PERIOD.

• TampaBoy813

Posted August 08, 2004 - 02:48 AM

Fastest one is right. With the cam mod you get:

1. no "stupid drill" to start the bike (if you race the bike you will find out soon enough how valuable this is. Yeah I could start my bike too....hence racing it for over a year before doing the cam mod. BUT I was ready to dump it for an 03 450 because of the autodecomp makes the older bikes obsolete)

2. You can fly into a corner, lock the rear wheel and if the bike stalls no problem....you can let off the brakes and the bike starts right back up. Try racing a bike and having to reach for the decomp lever...IT AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN!!

3. The cam gives the bike a smooth pull from bottom till it hits the rev limiter...very nice transition. Also it lessens the compression braking which makes the bike much easier to manage on an MX track.

The cam mod is the single best mod you can do to the bike.. PERIOD.

Do you have a part # for this Cam? I did the cam Mod on my YFZ450 and it was good....now I have a YZ426F / 400ex Quad...Please Post the Cam Part # or let me know what cam is it that you guys are using on the 426?!?! thanxs -Paul :devil:

• Satch0922

Posted August 08, 2004 - 03:22 AM

I used the stock 03 YZ450 exhaust cam in my bike...part # 5TA-12180-00-00. Hotcams also makes an auto decomp cam for the 400-426 bikes.

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 08, 2004 - 04:26 AM

First off
Visit http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com

Look under tech articles, there are free mods to look at for you 00

Second replace the stock 2000 needle with the 2001 needle Stock 2000 is a EKP
the 2001 is a EJP

Third the GBMod do the GBmod
Look again under Tech Articles on Motomans site for BKmod
Here is a Write up I did to ehance Garretts work
GBmod Explained

Last but not least The Drill

Live it Love it Sleep it
My 00 stats 1st kick warm 2nd kick cold every time, Save you cash fro susension work :thumbsup:
Start That Beast

• yz426onNOS

Posted August 08, 2004 - 12:24 PM

I'm a stubborn ol’ SOB.

• TampaBoy813

Posted August 09, 2004 - 06:46 AM

I used the stock 03 YZ450 exhaust cam in my bike...part # 5TA-12180-00-00. Hotcams also makes an auto decomp cam for the 400-426 bikes.

is there any thing else that I need to know when doing this Cam Mod on the 426? Like what do I do with the old Decomp leaver "not on the bars" the part on the head that the cable connect's to? :thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted August 09, 2004 - 02:25 PM

is there any thing else that I need to know when doing this Cam Mod on the 426? Like what do I do with the old Decomp leaver "not on the bars" the part on the head that the cable connect's to? :thumbsup:

Read the 450 cam mod post at the top of this forum. It has ALL the info you need. Here is also a place to start
Posted Image
Posted Image

• indiandunes

Posted August 09, 2004 - 03:03 PM

I traded my 99 yz for a yz 426. My old yz is still running fine, but the 00 426 blew a transmission. These are the problems with the 00. Trans blown 3rd gear club. I know of 3 personally. Clutch, need to do the cluch mod, look up key and 00 yz 426, jetting, new needle, and do the cam thing. I never had any problem starting the bike, but the decomp cam let's you bump start the bike.

• 426_Texan

Posted August 10, 2004 - 05:36 AM

Upgrading to the '01 clutch is the VERY FIRST thing you should do. Also, go ahead and replace the clutch cable while you're at it.

• x654

Posted August 10, 2004 - 06:15 AM

counter balancer key and clutch are the first things i would change, i have a 2000 426 and those were the first 2 problems i had. Hot Cams is also great if you have a couple c-notes to spare (well worth it). if you stall on a 50 mile x-country race 40 miles into it,starting it w/out can wear you out.
but all in all it is an awesome bike. i wouldnt trade it for a 450 at all. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.