broken oil filter cover bolt.

1 reply to this topic
  • twistngrip

Posted August 06, 2004 - 12:30 PM

The longest oil filter cover bolt broke off deep in the hole while I was tightening it back up. It broke far before it was tight at all. After looking at it, I think it was defective metal. I want to pass along my fix in case it may helpful to someone else. I first decided to drill a small hole in the center of the bolt end (that was deep inside the bolt hole). I was planning to use an easy-out to extract the bolt. I thought a small bit would be choice to keep from getting into the side of the hole or threads. The small bit was able to flex and thus veer off in the wrong direction. This didn't work. After about 6 hours of other attempts at various techniques, I was finally able to get the bolt out. I took a piece of 1/4 inch copper tubing and placed it into the hole to act as a sleeve to keep my bit straight. Then I bought a reverse drill bit that would just fit inside the copper tubing. You can purchase reverse drill bits at some Ace hardware stores and other tool specialty stores. With the sleeve in the hole and a bit big enough to be rigid, I was able to keep everthing very straight. I oiled the bolt good and reverse drilled the broken bolt. Once the drill bit got a bite on the broken bolt piece, it just spun it right out. I was never so excited in all my life after working so hard to get that bolt out. I just want to pass this along in case someone else can use some ideas with a similar problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Daver

Posted August 06, 2004 - 01:43 PM

Great technique - thanks for sharing Twistngrip :thumbsup: The reverse drills do work well. I have had limited success with eazyouts - seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

Next time, pick a better bolt to break, the oil filter cover bolts are probably the worst !!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.