Going Riding at the Local MX Track for the FIRST Time (I need ADVISE)

14 replies to this topic
  • lacofdfireman

Posted August 06, 2004 - 10:25 AM

Ok so this next week I am going to practice day at the local track. I have been riding motorcycles for alot of years but never on a track. I have never raced on a bike at all and would like to try out riding tracks. I would eventually race in the Veterans over 30 class in beginners class. What kind of advise could you share with me that would help me? Any tips or tricks you could inform me on would be greatly appreciated since I have never ridden on a MX track before. :thumbsup:

• Jeffro426

Posted August 06, 2004 - 11:07 AM

My best advice to you would be VERY aware of your surroundings...your going to be confined to a much smaller area and there will probably be ALOT more people around than when you just trail ride, etc. Just be cautious of kids especially...it seems they pop out of nowhere and always seem to be attracted to your front tire for some reason. Keep your eyes scanning and your wits about you and you should be fine...other than that, the faster you go, the smoother it is! :thumbsup:

• Sparky_So_Cal

Posted August 06, 2004 - 11:29 AM

I see that you are in the same area as I am in. What track and what day are you going? There are certain tracks in the area that I would suggest you to stay away from on certain days. A good track for you to hit up would Racetown 395 in Adelanto. There is a vet track where you could practice on and not be slammed by peeps flying over your head all the time. Build confidence.

Most important rules:
1. Hold your line, don't swerve
2. Don't try to get out of people's way, the faster guys already know how their going to pass you. (see item 1)
3. Learn the track, jumps turns ect.. before you attempt to be Bob Hannah
4. Know your exits and entry points and do not cross the track at all.
5. Be aware of your surroundings, other beginner riders such as yourself.

Have fun and stay safe.

• BigDesto

Posted August 06, 2004 - 11:42 AM

I take it your hitting LACR up?? Do what Sparky said, also remember to hold your line while going off a jump, NO switching lines while jumping or someone WILL land on you!!! DON"T try to jump anything that your not comfortable with(thats how you get hurt). Mostly big tabletops,some doubles and a small triple on the vet track! Have fun and ride safe! I'll have to meet you sometime at LACR, might try to get out on next wednesday night!

Small triple on Vet track
Posted Image
Double on Vet track
Posted Image
Front table on Vet track
Posted Image
Now a Step down
Posted Image

• twistngrip

Posted August 06, 2004 - 12:10 PM

Your story is exactly like mine and I had the same questions. I went to the track for the first time last month. I feel I'm a pretty good rider in dunes and desert. The track humbled me a bit. I found a whole different set of skills that I need to learn and perfect. Aside from what the others have said, you just have to get out there and experience it. From there, it will be plain to you what you need to work on. As for me, I'm 41 years old and I'm planning to slowly work up to the bigger jumps instead of just hammering the throttle and hoping for the best. I can't wait to get back out there myself. It is a real blast and I can see how it can get addictive.

Have fun!

• tool

Posted August 06, 2004 - 02:27 PM

Most important rules:
1. Hold your line, don't swerve
2. Don't try to get out of people's way, the faster guys already know how their going to pass you. (see item 1)

exactly. :thumbsup:
its amazing, your getting ready to fly by some beginner, and they cut you off by "getting out of your way". these type of people scare the living hell out of me, they do not belong out there.

• lacofdfireman

Posted August 06, 2004 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for all of the advise thus far. BigDesto for some reason your pics did not work for me. Just red X's. Anyways keep the tips coming. I am getting excited for LACR. Should be a good time. My two kids also want to join and ride there CRF 50. Should be a fun time for the whole family.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • indiandunes

Posted August 06, 2004 - 03:04 PM

I wouldn't go to LACR on an open track day. Too many practice racers for you to have any fun. You'll do fine, but its no fun trying to stay out of everyones way all the time. Try to hook up with someone for a track rental. If you are a fireman, ask the owner if they can hook you up with the fire guys who rent the track.

• thumperslider54

Posted August 06, 2004 - 04:00 PM

It's better to be last then be hurt!

• lacofdfireman

Posted August 06, 2004 - 05:45 PM

I am definatly going to do the day at the track with the Firemen. I know they rent it about once a month or so. That may be the better way for me to go at first. Thanks for all the advise.

• yz426onNOS

Posted August 06, 2004 - 11:16 PM

LACR looks like a sweet beginners track. Seeing as how I'm not a jumper. I like how they made the triple and others like a table top. That way I can jump them and not have to worry about being a human dart.

• ovrrdrive

Posted August 07, 2004 - 01:56 AM

its amazing, your getting ready to fly by some beginner, and they cut you off by "getting out of your way". these type of people scare the living hell out of me, they do not belong out there.

So people that are aware of their surroundings and courteous enough to try to get out of the way of the faster riders do not belong out there???

What kind of crap reply was that? :thumbsup: :devil:

Maybe you should take the time to explain to these guys that it's better to hold a line than to try to help out. They are only trying to help, and if no one ever explains this to them they will always be in the dark.

It's hard to believe people like you will bitch about them doing this, but not try to help them...

Try it, they are usually very open to suggestions.

• vetplus40

Posted August 07, 2004 - 09:17 AM

Sparky's advice was excellent. Not much an old vet racer can add other than to avoid "getting caught up in the moment" and letting your adrenaline tempt you into trying something that you are not ready for. That will get you in plaster quicker than anything.
The "hold your line" advice is probably the most important thing when riding in traffic. The minute you "turn" to get out of someones way, that is when they will accidently run into you. The faster riders will get around you with no difficulty as long as they know that you will hold your line.
The vet track idea is great. I am forced to fly higher and farther with each track change in my area due to the "big air" craze. If it gets much tougher, I will probably retire to the woods myself. Godd luck.

• tool

Posted August 07, 2004 - 10:38 PM

So people that are aware of their surroundings and courteous enough to try to get out of the way of the faster riders do not belong out there???

What kind of crap reply was that?

It's hard to believe people like you will bitch about them doing this, but not try to help them...

sounding a little hostile there overdrive... when these slow pokes "get out of my way" by making me crash into them, i dont think they are very courteous or aware. some guys go very fast on these tracks and MX is NOT for everyone. feel free to get landed on though. :thumbsup:

and i will not explain this to every newbie that goes to my track, every time i go there. what a waste of time.

• Fastest1

Posted August 08, 2004 - 08:08 AM

Always in any track enviroment (dirt or pavement). Ignore what is behind you! It is their resposibility to pass you, not for you to get out of their way. Yes it is intimidating hearing their approach but your compensation for them is what causes problems. Jumps are a different matter, if you are rolling them or going slow stay on the sides and out of the way but make no sudden changes especially in the landing zone. Take your time and enjoy yourself. The punks who think you are in the way are just that, punks! Everyone learns by doing. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.