Why do you have to loosen triple clamps before fork caps?

6 replies to this topic
  • per_s

Posted August 05, 2004 - 08:09 AM

Hi!
I want to check my oil level in the forks. Had a slight leakage and cleaned it with the 35mm trick.
I saw in the manual to loosen the top triple clamps before you try to unscrew the fork caps. Why is that?
What are the small brass screws on the upper part of the fork caps for?

I took it for a test ride on the gravel road cleaning the leaking seal. Accelerating on 2nd and then full front brake to compress the front suspension. I almost got it down to fully compressed, is that to soft front forks for MX driving on tracks? It seems like it to me but I'm not very experienced with the track driving and my YZ426.
Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

• SLO_Rider

Posted August 05, 2004 - 08:18 AM

Because the top clamp will squeeze the fork tube just enough that you will not be able to loosen the fork cap.

The only way to find out if your forks are too soft for motocross is to ride it on the track. Keep in mind you want your forks to bottom out on the largest jump on the track.

• per_s

Posted August 05, 2004 - 08:27 AM

OK, thanks!

PS. I would say that luck is earned by the best.

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RJB

Posted August 05, 2004 - 09:03 AM

Small brass screws are used for releasing pressure built up in the tubes (and for checking oil level). After heavy riding, you may want to unscrew these to let out any built up pressure in them. Other question already answered

• twistngrip

Posted August 05, 2004 - 04:03 PM

Small brass screws are used for releasing pressure built up in the tubes (and for checking oil level). After heavy riding, you may want to unscrew these to let out any built up pressure in them. Other question already answered

I remember from changing the fork seals that you set the oil level before putting the springs back in. Can you check the oil level through the bleed screw holes even though the springs are installed? :thumbsup:

• Anssi

Posted August 06, 2004 - 09:40 AM

Can you check the oil level through the bleed screw holes even though the springs are installed? :thumbsup:

Nope. And the small screws right on top of the fork caps (in the middle) are the rebound damping clickers.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 06, 2004 - 09:47 AM

The bleed screws can be removed to bleed air as well as to add increments of fork oil - I go with 5cc at a time through a screnge. This will stiffen up the forks - if they are bottoming all/too much of the time with the compression set correctly.....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.