WR450 Reliability

6 replies to this topic
  • BASSic

Posted August 05, 2004 - 07:02 AM

My father is trying to sell his TT-R 250 and get either a WR450 or XR400 to convert to dual sport. This bike will mostly be used off-road, with occasional trips around town. Are there any reliability issues with the WR450? Will the bike need the top end rebuilt every 50 hours like a MotoX bike? I know the XR400s are bulletproof, but we both agree that the WR is a nicer bike.

• ddialogue

Posted August 05, 2004 - 07:19 AM

Will the bike need the top end rebuilt every 50 hours like a MotoX bike?

VERY reliable! 4,000+ miles on the original top end.

I'm assuming your dad is looking at the 2005 WR450 model as it's green-stickered in Kalifornia?

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 05, 2004 - 09:25 AM

The 2003s had some issues that can be easily fixed. The 04s seem good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BASSic

Posted August 05, 2004 - 10:14 AM

Nah, my father's in PA where there's no need for any special sticker to ride off road. He'll probably get a 04 when the 05s come out.

I mentioned to him that he might be able to get a good deal on an 03 because of the shearing key problem, however I think he'd rather get a brand new bike.

It's funny because the TT-R 250 was his first bike after about 15 years of not riding a bike (he had a three wheeler and a quad in the mean time). The fun on that lasted a few months, and now he want's a bigger engine, hence the trade for a WR450!

• ETP

Posted August 05, 2004 - 02:59 PM

Don't believe you will be getting a license for a WR450 in California. All the known loopholes have been closed. Do a search on this and the Dual Sport forum for the gruesome details on Dual Sporting any bike in this state. You can get it plated in another state, but not without bending some rule or another. It really sucks. :thumbsup:

• RichBaker

Posted August 05, 2004 - 03:10 PM

You can get it plated in another state, but not without bending some rule or another. It really sucks. :devil:

Wrong!!!!! Got mine plated in AZ, no rules bent or even bruised...... :thumbsup:

• ETP

Posted August 05, 2004 - 05:27 PM

If you live in California, as I do, you can use an Arizona address to get an Arizona plate, but the CHP here is now cracking down on out of state plates if your driver's license has a California address on it. Hope that made sense. I also could not find any insurance that would let the bike reside in California more than 50% of the time, with a AZ plate. You can do it, but ya gotta, bend the rules. :thumbsup:
I have been researching a way to get a legit license for my bike here in California for almost 2 years now. The laws keep getting tighter. Been looking into a "Specially Constructed Vehicle" plate, but it costs several hundred dollars, so I hear. May give that a try.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.