01 XRL jetting help

9 replies to this topic
  • yooper_porkchop

Posted August 05, 2004 - 03:50 AM

I have a 01 XRL and find that it may be lean, what are the factory jet sizes 49 state model? I have added a Uni air filter to the bike and the rest is stock, haven't uncorked it, plenty enought for me as it is. Juut want to make sure its right, do I need to change jets or just adjust the air screw? Elevation is 1000 feet abpove sea level. I can't really find anything in the search files that will really answer this for me. Thanks for any responses, Porkchop.

• uw153

Posted August 05, 2004 - 05:07 AM

What pilot and main size do you currently have?

• yooper_porkchop

Posted August 05, 2004 - 05:17 AM

don't know, haven't touched it as of yet, factory stock from new.

• Clumster

Posted August 05, 2004 - 05:24 AM

yooper,

The stock settings are indeed lean.

The main mods for the L are as follows:

Remove the snorkel from the top of the airbox, (under the seat). Drill out the two rivets and remove.

Air filter, which you have already done. :devil:

Rejet main to Keihin 158, pilot to Keihin 55s (short)

Shim stock needle 0.0030"

Turn mixture screw out 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 turns.

Drill the two slide vacuum holes out ot 5/32" (throttle response improvement)

Increasing exhaust air flow. Aftermarket slip-ons, (i.e. White Bros. E-Series, FMF 'Q' Series, Cut stock baffle, remove stock baffle, get Thumper Racing's Stealth insert). Just please keep in mind noise level when choosing. Loud exhausts piss people off, and give them more incentive to close our riding areas. :awww:

The emissions stuff on the left side can be removed with a block off kit from IMS, (I bought mine through BajaDesigns). This doesn't improve performance, but definitely cleans up the look, eliminates a easily broken element, and helps rid you of the dreaded popping on deceleration. (although most popping is caused by the lean condition).

The other major mod is changing gearing, going to a 48 tooth rear sprocket (from a stock 45), and maybe lowering the counter sprocket (front) to a 14 tooth, (stock is 15). This enables better riding in tighter trails, but you do loose some top end.

Hope this helps.

Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people here, just keep asking questions. :thumbsup:

Thanks, :lol:
Mike in KC

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 05, 2004 - 06:22 AM

I know you meant 30 thousandths (0.030"), not 3. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clumster

Posted August 06, 2004 - 08:40 AM

I know you meant 30 thousandths (0.030"), not 3. :lol:

Yes. Sorry :lol: The keyboard must have gotten '0' happy :thumbsup: .....couldn't be the typist.. :D

Thanks for the catch, Dave! :awww:

Fun Ridin'! :devil:

Mike in KC

• BrackneyC

Posted August 10, 2004 - 11:33 AM

yooper,

The stock settings are indeed lean.

The main mods for the L are as follows:

Remove the snorkel from the top of the airbox, (under the seat). Drill out the two rivets and remove.

Air filter, which you have already done. :devil:

Rejet main to Keihin 158, pilot to Keihin 55s (short)

Turn mixture screw out 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 turns.

Drill the two slide vacuum holes out ot 5/32" (throttle response improvement)

Increasing exhaust air flow. Aftermarket slip-ons, (i.e. White Bros. E-Series, FMF 'Q' Series, Cut stock baffle, remove stock baffle, get Thumper Racing's Stealth insert). Just please keep in mind noise level when choosing. Loud exhausts piss people off, and give them more incentive to close our riding areas. :lol:

The emissions stuff on the left side can be removed with a block off kit from IMS, (I bought mine through BajaDesigns). This doesn't improve performance, but definitely cleans up the look, eliminates a easily broken element, and helps rid you of the dreaded popping on deceleration. (although most popping is caused by the lean condition).

The other major mod is changing gearing, going to a 48 tooth rear sprocket (from a stock 45), and maybe lowering the counter sprocket (front) to a 14 tooth, (stock is 15). This enables better riding in tighter trails, but you do loose some top end.

Hope this helps.

Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people here, just keep asking questions. :thumbsup:

Thanks, :awww:
Mike in KC

I just did everything mentioned above except the gear change. The midrange power difference was night and day. I had a fellow Thumpertalk guy help me, so the entire process took about an hour. I may in the future go to an aftermarket exhaust, but for now, I am very happy with this inexpensive, but very effective change to my bike.

• yooper_porkchop

Posted August 10, 2004 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the help.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 12, 2004 - 06:28 AM

New exhaust? Keep 'er stealth!

• jeanluconze

Posted March 05, 2007 - 02:23 PM

Is the Keihin 55s the same as the Kehin 55 pilot (21 series) found in the TT store?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.