myth of metal bark busters

15 replies to this topic
  • simon@vic

Posted August 04, 2004 - 04:44 PM

well up until now i would have told you it was BS. but I'm rethinking my opinion. on Sunday afternoon i went over my bars {low speed jumping a log}, got my hand stuck in there. PAIN. i didn't think much of it and kept on riding despite the pain. well Monday morning i whisked off to the hospital {driving my self one handed}.end result was no broken bones, but i did manage to stretch and rip a few of the ligaments that hold the bones in my hand together and to the wrist. :awww: :thumbsup: :devil:

• Snipper

Posted August 04, 2004 - 08:35 PM

Ouch! Maybe a dumb question, but aren't you supposed to let go when you go over the bars? Were you able to ride back?

• WR_Dave

Posted August 05, 2004 - 02:23 AM

The "myth" is a little bit annoying to me. If riders need an excuse not to use bark busters, then just say you don't want to use them. I personally won't ride in the bush without them( I ride in the same tight bush as your video).I have a friend who won't use them for the reason of the "myth" and both of his hands are in bad shape , but that's his choice. The group now just sends him back to the truck whenever he hurts his hands and wants to stop riding,we will no longer let that excuse ruin the ride for the rest of us. Bark busters don't make you indestructible! My rant-WR Dave. :thumbsup:

• ckulzer

Posted August 05, 2004 - 03:47 AM

I too have heard stories of broken wrists from them yet I will not ride without them. I even put a set on my flat tracker.

I think the angle that they are mounted affects the injury factor. I see some bikes that have them mounted so they almost point upward. With that mounting method, I could see how your hands could get caught and fold up into your wrists during a front impact situation.

Many a tree are wounded for life thanks to the “Bark Buster”.

Ride fast - take chances

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 05, 2004 - 05:00 AM

I think the angle that they are mounted affects the injury factor. I see some bikes that have them mounted so they almost point upward. With that mounting method, I could see how your hands could get caught and fold up into your wrists during a front impact situation.

This is a good point. Proper mounting would have the bark bustes pointing slightly down.

• BASSic

Posted August 05, 2004 - 06:39 AM

I believe I saw someone advertising bark busters that were designed so your hand couldn't get stuck. They were slightly curved, allowing some room for your hand to get out if you were to go over the bars. I'll post more info here if I can find it.

• Guest_dsornot2ds_*

Posted August 05, 2004 - 06:56 AM

Hell, goin' over the handlebars hurts no matter what :devil:
Thats how I did my shoulders in! Forget about the wrists!! :thumbsup:

Posted August 05, 2004 - 10:25 AM

Broken wrist or broken fingers. take your pick, if you want safty take up knitting. With our busters I would have hurt my hands ten times more often then me going over the bars. Pointing them down is a good top, the cycras ar the ones that have a dip in them to allow you to get out easier. I have the EE busters and wouldn't trade them for anything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FTD

Posted August 05, 2004 - 06:20 PM

They have to be mounted 10 degrees or below the bars.
I don't know how many times I've smacked something and would of had a broken hand without them... not to mention the broken levers.

• simon@vic

Posted August 05, 2004 - 06:33 PM

i didn't say i wasn't going to run them. I'm just pointing out that it is possible to hurt your self with them despite the 1000 times they save you and your levers. :thumbsup:.

• John_H

Posted August 05, 2004 - 07:42 PM

Wow, I was just thinking about that the other day (for some unknown reason) when Desertfoxx and I were out riding. I've never personally known anyone to have that problem, but sounds like you had some bad luck with your bark busters. :awww:

I had a get-off with an injury a while back and probably held on a little too long.:devil:

I have to say mine have saved me a bunch of times from bruised or maybe broken fingers.

Interesting topic :lol:

p.s. I find knitting to be very boring. :thumbsup: :D

• Treebark

Posted August 05, 2004 - 09:46 PM

Bark Busters are definetly a must. As my screen name states many trees would have broken many of my fingers and levers. What kind of BB do you have? Good luck with hand.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 06, 2004 - 07:15 AM

I have broken my wrist with Bark Busters. But I still use them. Mine were the old Meyer aluminum style with the big plastic cups that really wrap over the top. And that was the problem. The cups came so far over the top of my hand. When I went over the bar the top edge of the cup cought my wrist and snapo thats all she wrote. I saw that they came out with quick release rubber mounts for the cups shortly after.

I have the Cycra's and have no fear at all about broken wrists (untill I break another one :thumbsup:)

• unkle_george

Posted August 07, 2004 - 09:24 AM

I smashed my fingers between the bars and the clutch once when I did a high speed 'oops, I fell' trick'aroo. Didn't break the bone but hurt for 3 months. When the front end washes it sucks me down faster then I can let go (which doesn't sound like a very fun option either)
Long live metal barkbusters, long live my fingers. :thumbsup:

• Hamish

Posted August 07, 2004 - 01:02 PM

I just have the plastic unsupported units on my WR, they seem to work ok, but havent really 'tested' them properly.

• the426master

Posted August 07, 2004 - 02:37 PM

me and some of my friends were riding tight single track trails one time and one of the new guy's didn't have bark busters and he hit a tree :devil: and almost cut three of his fingers off all of the skin on his fingers was peeled back from the impack of his clutch lever so always use bark busters :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.