Buying used BRP...tips?

16 replies to this topic
  • Tabasco

Posted August 04, 2004 - 05:33 AM

Maiden voyage here, guys.

I'm in the market (So-Cal) for a used 650r and want to make sure I don't inherit someone else's problems.

Test road a 2001 last night, but had a couple concerns:

* Seller didn't have to use the decompression lever to start the bike. Is that bad?

* I definitely want Cali plates so I have the option to do some dual sport runs. This bike had a plate (overdue tags), however it didn't have any sort of dual sport kit (no signals, horn, etc).

* Lastly, this is the bike's third owner and he didn't know much about the BRP's maintenence history. For example, he couldn't tell me if it was uncorked.

Am I being overly cautious? I'm anxious to start riding, but don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Any advice is welcome.

• jim1234

Posted August 04, 2004 - 06:00 AM

I would pass on that bike . You already know by your gut feeling . The first check I make is the air cleaner . In a water cooled bike . I bring the bike home and adj valves ,change oil, check jetting , and change coolant. If someone put tap water to top off the level. It will eat the motor from the inside out. I try to add up all it will need and not get attached to it. Out of date reg. just cost me a 166.00 on a 02 xr400. If you have to fix the dualsport kit your going to have a 100 or so. If it's a homemade harness you'll always be chasing it. My biggest help is thumpertalk . I do a search for that year bike and check the problems the bikes have, some early brp's had clutch problems. Most of all I want to get a good feeling the bikes been taken care of , by a person that knows how to take care of one. I've bought too many money pits I thought I could make right. Then a week later I would see the bike I should have bought. good luck

• big t

Posted August 04, 2004 - 03:04 PM

I would pass on that one also. You should not have any problem finding one that is an original owner and can show you how the bike was maintained. Plus if it had a plate it could have high mileage.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 04, 2004 - 03:33 PM

Maiden voyage here, guys.

I'm in the market (So-Cal) for a used 650r and want to make sure I don't inherit someone else's problems.

Test road a 2001 last night, but had a couple concerns:

* Seller didn't have to use the decompression lever to start the bike. Is that bad?

* Lastly, this is the bike's third owner and he didn't know much about the BRP's maintenence history. For example, he couldn't tell me if it was uncorked.

Not everyone uses the decompression lever in starting their bikes. I always do cause it makes it so much easier. My riding partner however does not use it. It's almost a mocho thing with him.

If he couldn't tell you if it was uncorked, then he knows about as much as you do about the XR650R. Do you know what the stock exhaust pipe and tip look like? If the tip is drilled out or changed then it's most likely uncorked. Was the bike beat up looking? If it looked nice and ran nice when you tested drove it, then it may be ok. You need someone who knows XR650s to look at the bike with you.

The fact that he is a third owner does not tell you anything. Often folks will buy an XR650R and decide to sell it almost immediately cause of its weight and power. It's actually possible that it is a low milage rig. Outward appearance could tell you a lot concerning how much its been ridden. Where the riding boots rub against the motor and frame will be heavily worn if it was used much. Go to your dealer and take a very close look at a new one, take three or fout pictures and bring them with you as you look over a used bike.

If you can't find someone who knows the XR650R to go with you (or at least have pictures of a new one) then I suggest you buy a new one.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

• Naru

Posted August 04, 2004 - 05:42 PM

Especially with the easy access on the XR650R, check the Airbox; it can tell you quite a bit about the bikes matinence history and places it has been ridden. When my friend bought a BRP, he didn't check it, and later found the area between the filter and side-plate stuffed full of dog food. :thumbsup: As for if you should pass on this bike or not, finding any BRP with plates nowadays is pretty hard in Cali., so you probably don't have much of a choice. If the price was right (maybe ~3300 if the bike only has a plate, ~3500 if it has a full DS kit), you might just want to take the chance.

PS - If your in the San Diego area, I'd be happy to go look at the bike with you and give a further opinion. No garantees on my mechanical prowess, but I own two BRPs, so I know how they ride at least. :devil:

• CJPilot

Posted August 04, 2004 - 06:44 PM

A good way I check to see if a bike has been ridden hard is a good undercarriage inspection.

get on the ground and look underneath the bike at the frame rails, swingarm, linkage, downtube right where the front tire would roost it and the exhaust headers in the same area. It's really good way to determine how hard the bike was ridden and the type of terrain it has been operated in. Rocks dings everywhere? Sandblasted rims, headers, caked mud uner the skidplate where they forgot to scrub good?

I've seen many a bike that looks good from afar but is far from good. It is a dirtbike though so a few scratches won't hurt nuthin. It's just more fun if you get to put em on rather than inherit them!

D. :thumbsup:

• mikekay

Posted August 04, 2004 - 06:45 PM

Right now there are more than 20 XR650R's for sale in Cali on cycletrader.com
4-5 of them are street legal. prices range from high 3's to low 5's.
There are 2-3 that look like a sweet deal...

• smashinz2002

Posted August 04, 2004 - 07:04 PM

Pass on that one man! There are many other good, lightly used original owner bikes out there for good prices. I would be suspicious of a 3rd owner bike that the guy doesn't know much about, such as if it's uncorked or not. He should know that.
For example I found my bike used, from the original owner who got a bike that was way too much for him. It was still completely stock, not uncorked or messed with. It had a few scratches on it where he dumped it because he was too small for such a big bike. Other than minor scratches, and the like new condition of the air cleaner, tires, and no frame rub from boots, I could tell the bike was ridden very little. I've been riding the heck out of this bike now for 3 years, and it's never had any problems.
So I'd say find a bike where the guy either couldn't afford the payments, and barely rode it, or someone who bought it and couldn't handle the weight and power.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DirtyChris

Posted August 04, 2004 - 07:27 PM

I just went though all this a month ago buying my BRP... Plated dirt bikes are getting few and far between now... I bought mine plated with a BD kit on it, and uncorked for $3500 down in San Diego.
Like the rest of these guys said, look for wear marks, check the air filter (its easy to get off, no tools) Check the oil and coolant, and most of all, how it rides.
Remember, this is a big Honda, they're almost billet proof.

The price is going up on these, so get em wile you can. Soon a plated BRP in Cali will have the same price tag on it as a brand new one.
I live in Temecula (Just north of the San Diego county line on the 15 freeway), if you're any where around here, I'd be happy to go looking with you.

• frogman

Posted August 04, 2004 - 09:48 PM

If the seller was ignorant of un-corking, than he does not know enough about the bike to maintain the oil in the Pig.
And care of the oil is vital for the longevity of a big 4 stroke.

Find another one. There are plenty of "hardly-riddens" around.

Find someone that hates it because it runs bad and fouls plugs, get him down to a really low price, by making a show on how the bike dies when you turn the throttle hard at low RPM's.

Try to give it gas when you start it, and than rag about the bike as he kicks himself to death trying to get it running.

And as soon as you get it for a really low price, go down and buy you an Edelbrock carb and put it on.

Touchdown and good move!

• redrider650r

Posted August 05, 2004 - 05:42 AM

Tabasco,

check you private messages

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted August 05, 2004 - 09:32 AM

Welcome Tabasco, look in the "bikes for sale" forum. Thumpdaddy has a xr650r for sale, that I can tell you first hand has been well cared for. Lots of Hop ups. It is not plated yet, but he has done the paperwork prior to the deadline date, so it CAN be plated. If your looking for a quality bike, check him out.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted August 05, 2004 - 04:12 PM

Tabasco,

Send me a private message with your email address and I will send you a list of what is on my bike and the maintenance history. I tried to send you a PM but you are not set up to do so.

Alan

• Tabasco

Posted August 06, 2004 - 04:45 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to weigh in with their advice. I bought a pretty sweet plated brp last night; full--functioning--baja designs kit, uncorked and well taken care of. To top it off, the guy worked up near XRs Only and had it recently tuned.

Looking forward to trading posts and hopefully riding with you in the near future (read about an LA-Barstow-Vegas run that sounds like a blast).

...now how do I start this thing, again?

Hasta la bomba!

• mikekay

Posted August 06, 2004 - 07:40 AM

welcome to the club!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 06, 2004 - 11:10 AM

...now how do I start this thing, again?

Hasta la bomba!

Just push the e-button, oh yeah only some of us have that luxury added to our XR650R's. :devil: :awww: :thumbsup: :lol: :D

• Portland_650R

Posted August 06, 2004 - 11:21 AM

Just push the e-button, oh yeah only some of us have that luxury added to our XR650R's.

Well, yes, but you have to carry it around with you, too :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.